Recomendation for Disco 2 tyres ? (all season )

Hi,

i need to replace the tyres on my Disco 2 and i do not havce any clue which one to buy. I am not happy with the Michelin 4x4 so this is not an option for me.

Generally, i do 80 - 90% on road, sometimes going with a trailer. My average mileage is about 6.000 miles (10.000 km) per year.

I am living in austria, so the tyre must fit bad weather (i.e mud, snow etc.) as well as the good sunny times.

Recommendations by my tyre dealer are toyo open country A/T and goodyear HP all weather.

Any advice / info / recommendation would be great !

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli

Are you willing to have two sets of tyres one for the winter and one for the summer? If so I'm pretty impressed by the Vredstein Wintrac 4 Extreme I bought back in December, these are winter tyres so will be coming off once the temperature gets consistently much above 5C and the threat of snow has gone. (3" of fresh snow here this morning).

IIRC the Goodyear HP is one of the OEM fitted tyres and does well as a mainly road all rounder/all season tyre. Fairly well worn ones where on my first DII. I've previously had Pirelli Scorpion ST and STR as the local Land Rover dealer had good prices on them (about =A380/corner fitted a couple of years back), not sure of the difference between the two ST/STR but both have performed well on snow, not quite up to the Vredsteins but *far* *far* better than some Kuhmo things that came with my current DII. They are OK in the warm but really do not like cold and wet and are hopeless on snow.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wouldn't fit Goodyear HP tyres - they tend to harden with age and mileage, especially more so on low mileage vehicles (the rubber hardens through lack of regular use) and they then become extremely unpredictable on wet tarmac. I'd go with the Toyo A/T's - I have a set on my Dodge Ram and they're absolutely fantastic. In all the recent snow and ice we've had, I can state without any doubt that they are the most surefooted tyres I have ever driven on in those conditions and seem to have braking grip that goes against the laws of physics! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I second that, they are absolute crap.

Reply to
Nige

Am Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:08:11 +0000 schrieb Dave Liquorice:

Thank you for the information, but due to the low mileage i won*t have two sets of tyres.

Kind Regards Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli

Am Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:37:17 +0000 schrieb Badger:

Hi, that sounds really good. I think, i will give the Toyo's a try!

Thank you for your help !

Kind regards Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli

Am Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:03:03 +0000 schrieb Nige:

Hi Nige,

sorry but i have a language problem. Did you mean the Goodyear are crap ? I think, i will give the Toyo's a try.

Kind Regards Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli

Yes, they are crap, Kumho make some decent tyres too.

Reply to
Nige

That's fair enough I'd be happy on Pirelli ST or STR for general mainly road use with some snow. Austria isn't one of the countries that insist on winter tyres being fitted between certain dates then? And I guess they are reasonable are clearing/salting roads?

I really only bought the Vredstien Wintracs as the Hankook Ventus ST(*) that my DII had on that came with the car are crap on snow. Glad I did as we have had a lot of snow this winter, > 3' accumulation so far we currently have 5" of the stuff lying after 2" more of dry powder last night.

(*) Just been out to the garage to check what they are I think I said something else earlier.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:28:17 +0100, Reinhard Swietli enlightened us thusly:

Probably a bit late, but I've been using the General Grabber AT2 here on things, got some 225/75 on the disco II at the moment. They may be a bit more aggressive tread than you're looking for.

I found the Toyo Open Country was a bit too much like a road tyre. But it depends what you want them for - I have more aggressive tread for when I meet things on narrow lanes and have to go off-tarmac to get past them.

Reply to
Austin Shackles