RR Classic Rearview Mirror Repair

Hi Guys,

RR Classic 3.9 Vogue '92 rearview mirror fell off last night, on a looooong journey. Managed to trace the wire behind the headlining and disconnect via the plug (to save the bloomin' thing dangling 'til I got home.

Tried to repair it today but does anyone know if it's resin or a thick glue that was used originally, as the arm that clips into the headlining also slots around the window/glue mount, thereby raising the mount from the window glass slightly therefore something thin like supaglue wouldn't work? I've also tried industrial strength double-sided adhesive pads which, while they do fill that gap between the mount pad and the glass, aren't strong enough for the weight of the mirror.

Regards,

Colin

Reply to
CJ

There's a fixer specially made for that job though I can't remember what it's called. Got it from my local spares shop and it consisted of a small piece of thin grey coloured gauze, enough to do the job twice, with instructions to clean the glass etc. and just wet a small piece of the gauze with some superglue type stuff which was also in the kit. The gauze is impregnated with some sort of hardener/activator which, if you don't get your skates on, hardens the glue before you get the chance to stick the small mirror pad on. I could tell that I hadn't got enough fluid on as the patch was a bit dry in places which you could see once it was in place. That was about 5 years ago and it's never fell off since. If I had to do it again I would use more fluid and be a bit quicker about getting the job done.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Glassbond + UV (B) light is far more reliable.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote................

What can be more reliable than..... 'it's not fallen off yet'? :-) shouldn't have opened my big mouth, watch it fall off in the morning.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.