Safari window installation.

Attention is shortly to turn to Percys interior but first I need to fit the safari roof , vents and windows. Heres the progress on Percy.

got to use my second favorite tool , the nibbler. (1st being mole grips)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

In article , Lee_D writes

Nice.

And nice pics too - no commentary required! That doesn't stop me asking questions though:

- Do I assume (as one having to redo the seals round mine sometime Real Soon Now) that the rubber is all nice & flexi until you put that central bead into place?

- Was it as nasty as doing a windscreen, or not?

- Lots of string and washing up liquid?

(some people are never satisfied!)

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Yep

The worst bit was the refiting of the bead... I forgot to buy a tool...and was too impatient to make one... so 20 minutes of slow progress on each side for the bead.

None on this occasion... the bead removes the need for any lube.. infact the seal pretty much goes in first..then the glass is coaxed in with a wallpaper type scraper (anything less risks shattering the glass)

;-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Looking very posh! :)

You decided to use your current roof rather than shortening the LWB one then? Are you going to shift the rest of the safari bits over? (The second skin and the vents). Shouldnt be too hard should it?

Also. Did you buy new rubber seal? - If so, then where from?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Always was using Percys roof with the shortened safari skin on top.... the lwb safari skin is a swb one with an extra bit spot welded on... the fun's in the the removal of those spot welds :-)

Yep see above and piccy of the skin in the garage..

the origional lower LWB roof is now surplus to requirements and next destination is the tip unless anyone wants to whisk a bare LWB roof away minus windows and vents....

The trim is going to get new covers and the trim around the inside roof is getting shortened where required. The Sunvisors , upper windscreen trim and roof liners are to be recovered / remade as required. Matching carpet will then addorn the seat boxes and probably a chequre plate floor in the back (to match the fronts). Finally a general tart up of interior paint and trim.

No, cleaned the seals with Baby wipes (dammed good things for oily hands too!)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

302178 Alpine Light Filler Strip 3.76 inc VAT 302177 Alpine Light Glass Seal 6.60 inc VAT

Richard - still trying..............

Reply to
richard.watson

Do you sell it by the metre?. I might want some for the windows on my

101, and its the same stuff. A lot of older cars and camper vans use it too dont they?
Reply to
Tom Woods

We don't do it by the metre, but it's of the "standard" sizes, so I'd have thought a good windscreen firm, or parhaps caravans?, would have it.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson