Utterly OT : Tesco Phone.

Yes I used gprs, it was slow and expensive, the 3g is a decent speed but I think they throttle if the cell is congested.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

It's a cheap router and I cannot find that term in any of the settings. It's not a problem in general though and I can always suspend a download and then resume.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

I'm planning on getting a 3G phone in Jan and will be using either skype or fring on it, like you though it's probably not worth it for me really as I rarely call anyone, I think I just like messing about!

Voippix has something on the tesco phone, although the site's not been up dated in a month so not sure if it's still running.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

3 also do a broadband modem and their coverage is supposed to be much better and faster than anyone else for mobile broadband. I bought one and much to my surprise get a strong signal at my house, I only really bought it for use on customer sites in cities so was quite surprised it would fire up out in the sticks. 100-150Kbytes/s is usual, although at a relative's house I only got 45Kbytes/s. The modem is tiny and contains the software so no need to even take any CDs.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Is it a Huawei E220 modem?

Reply to
EMB

That's the one, works OK under linux if you mess about a bit. Reception seems OK but it's a shame it doesn't have an aerial connection. A USB extension lead is a poor substitute. I've not had a problem with reception so far though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's the trouble, I do a simple job at work but I'm always finding solutions to problems I don't have!

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie