Wheels and tyres for sale

have 4 Mangals steel wheels and new Colway tyres. Tyres are remould

205 x 16. Wheels are boxed and tyres never fitted. Bought in error!!

I (well, my company actually) paid £240 to Paddock's for these a couple of weeks ago. They are just taking up space, so I want shot. I don't want to split them - if I can't sell them then work will almost certainly give them to me!

In South Yorkshire - buyer collects or I can ship at cost. Email me (take the piss when emailing) and we can negotiate!

Cheers

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Fit a 101 ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

The wheels won't - only five stud. The tyres would, but would look ridiculously small!

101 tyres are, IME, a bit problematic. I've got new Petlas ones on mine, but they aren't much better on the road than bargrips. BF Goodrich do some very credible looking radials that would certainly be much better, but only in the US.

The solution is truck tyres, but to get a decent tyre choice you need to change to 20 inch rims.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

bronco have a few which would seem suitable for a 101

fairly cheap

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hmm. With a suitably low profile, you wouldn't bugger the gearing either....

Wonder whats available.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Michelin site used to list lots of possibles, mostly 900 x 20 IIRC.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Look like Camacs under a new name. Haven't seen them recently, perhaps they are the same thing renamed. Still cross-plys and very bar-grip like.

Lists quite a few sizes that might suit a 101, particularly if you could get some 17 or 18 inch wheels made.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I want some which are more like normal tyres for mine, but the metric measurements are confusing me.

From my calculations, 9 inches = 230mm, so I want something with atleast a 230mm sidewall. which means atleast 265/85 (preferably bigger) in metric.

There seems to be another method of tyre sizing which uses the diameter. Not sure what the 101 is though. I'm sure i saw a 101 tyre size conversion chart somewhere in the past.

Bet theyre all very expensive though :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

AFAIK, the modern system of tyre sizing says WIDTH of tyre (mm)/ aspect ratio (percent) - R(diameter inches!), so a 9 x 16 is now a 230/100 -R 16

Or am I wrong ?

Are truck tyres a la Grumble really practical off-road ? I haven't actually seen Martyn playing off road !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Something like this - 15 inch rim though, but a 35 inch diameter. You'd need to buy 15 inch rims - well, have some made in fact. IIRC the Dredd's are on something like this.

101 as standard is 9 x 16, which means 16 inch inner diameter and 9 inch sidewall. Not sure about width, but I think it is always 100% of sidewall.

That gives a nominal rolling diameter of 34 inches. However, the Petlas were at least 1 inch bigger than the admittedly part worn bar grips that came off. It is also known that there is a big variation in bar grip sizes!

Add to that that many of these tyres (Petlas included) don't have a European marking (an 'E' I think). It is also often overlooked that Petlas, bar-grips and the Danubias you mention from Bronco are rated only to 50mph, which aint enough for a 101 on the motorway. Mine sits very comfortably at 60mph, but I don't often because I can only think of the tread coming off my tyres and the stablility of a 101 running on its rims at 60mph....

Working on the 100% profile theory, I think the metric equivalent of a bargrip is a 235 x 100, which I dont think exists. Offering up one of my 235/85 Trac-Edges against the 101 just looks silly!

The 101 also has 'tubed' rims, so you'd still need inner tubes with the radial tyres. I'm not sure whether that works, or is indeed legal.

The BFG All Terrain is available (in the US at least) as a 315/75 x

16, which would give an overall diameter of 34.7 inches on a 16 inch rim, with a useful width increase to about 12-13 inches. Bronco stock a 295 /75 x 16, which would also do the job at £145 per corner. When my ship comes in....
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

some tyres, like the ones Tim linked from bronco are measured like

35.12.50R15 . which would appear to be diameter.width.wheel diameter
Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm quite happy with the existing 16inch wheels. I though that the dredds were on normal bargripis but with silly fibre glass fake wheel extensions on (that looked good on camera!)

They used to have the petlas tyres on the bronco site but dont now.

I will remember to check the ratings from now on.

I thought you could have inner tubes on whatever you liked?

So i have to save up £580 ! ooh dear

Reply to
Tom Woods

Can you not get any of the commercial 17.5 rims to fit, there's a good selection about?

Reply to
Graham Jones