Astra Sportive 2.0 DTi, Starts but will not accelerate

I have a 2.0 diesel sportive van (2003) which starts ok but will not accelerate at all, It just sits at idling speed. There is a "Spanner" light that appears in the speedo window. Before this condition arose I noticed that the engine was running as if firing on only two or three cylinders. It's done 90.000 and is therefore out of warranty - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Pilly

When was it last serviced - as the spanner indicates it's due.

Reply to
Iridium

If it's a spanner on it's own, then there's an engine management fault. If it's a spanner and an oil can, it's the service light. If it's a spanner and the outline of a car, there's a non-engine management fault.

I'd guess that it's most likely the accelerator position sensor that's gone faulty, but it would be best to get the fault codes read to find out for sure. Without the fault codes, I'm just guessing.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill