At last, some inventiveness on the use of magnets

Magnetic swarf pickups in oil sumps aren't new, of course, but here's a novelty. I was led on to here from another site which mentions fastening a couple of old HD magnets to the oil filter.

I'm actually impressed by the amount of magnetic swarf picked up by a simple magnetic band pushed around the oil filter and even the application of it to a fuel filter makes sense, if there's swarf contamination in the fuel, but they just had to go and make a claim tooooo far...

"Impact 2. FilterMAG's sheer magnetic force destroys the single celled microbial infestations that can reside in the fuel-water interface because these cells are positively and negatively charged. The magnetic force kills them and rips them into sub atomic particles that pass through your injectors to be burnt with the fuel and then passed out as exhaust."

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't go the whole hog and claim increased magnetic effect on the fuel molecules leading to better economy. But maybe they're hoping the customer will think that might be the case.

Help! I'm being ripped apart by magnets!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

ROFL! Yes, magnets can be used to rip atoms (NOT microbes!!!) into subatomic particles - but only if they're the size of the ones at the CERN laboratory!

Reply to
asahartz

Although that swarf would never get through the filter anyway. Sticking it in the sump so it never gets as far as the pump would be more use.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The magnets at CERN aren't very strong, though they are very big.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Right. I've owned bikes with magnets built into the drain plug(s) before. Always interesting to see gets stuck to them.

A fish around in the drained-out oil wiv a magnet-onna-stick sometimes turns up some interesting (read: worrying) bits. In the case of my XS750 triple, many years ago, two or three gear teeth.

Reply to
totallydeadmailbox

The words that most spring to mind here are "revenue stream".

Not that I'm an old cynic or anything. Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Hardly worth it though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Right. I've owned bikes with magnets built into the drain plug(s) before. Always interesting to see gets stuck to them.

A fish around in the drained-out oil wiv a magnet-onna-stick sometimes turns up some interesting (read: worrying) bits. In the case of my XS750 triple, many years ago, two or three gear teeth.

2nd/3rd gear engagement dogs were a usual find in my pre-Halco XS650's oil changes. Strangely enough, the 'uprated' Halco gears I fitted were actually XS750 parts supplied (at cost) in Yamaha original packaging. I kid you not.

JB

Reply to
JB