Fiesta engine change...continued...

Oh man... me again :-(

Remember my tale of woe 2 weeks ago where I managed to hit the valves with the pistons by not tightening up the crank bolt enough?

Anyway, the bottom line now is that the replacement engine I bought won't transfer. The car is a yr2000 V reg 1.25 Zetec, the engine came from a yr

2002. The garage says that the '?injector rail' is different and some electrics are different.

The old engine is definitely knackered, one of the valves is embedded in the top of a piston and most of the other valves are mashed, and the valve guides are damaged.

So, does anyone know which other models will fit a yr 2000 Fiesta (assuming I wont be able to find the exact yr 2000 Fiesta match!)

Will my local Ford dealer know if I ring them? Will one from a 98 Fiesta Mk4 1.25 Zetec fit?

Thanks for any help Steve

Reply to
Stevie

Tell them to change the injector rail over and use the electrics from the broken engine. Unless the engine you have is a Duratec, there is no reason for it not to fit.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Have you asked for a price on a brand new engine from Ford?

You may well be quite surprised at how reasonable this is.

Reply to
SteveH

He said he couldn't change the injector rail (different fittings?). Great if not true. I haven't seen them side by side yet.

And he said the electrics would involve 'a lot' of rewiring? Dunno how you define 'a lot'...

How would I tell if it's a Duratec engine? Here's some pics of the 'new'

2002 engine and the 1998 one I could buy. I don't have any pics of the original engine, but it looks similar to the 1998 one...
Stevie

Bloody hell! Where you from, if you're close enough I'd do it my bloody self!

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Stevie ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So swap the entire bloody manifold...

Reply to
Adrian

The Fiesta used the same engines DHA/B/C/D until DHE, DHF, and DHG engines were released in 2000. Same block and head, though.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Nottingham... where are you? I'll come and fetch you!

Reply to
Stevie

Good idea. Wish I'd thought of that. I'll suggest it tomorrow...

Reply to
Stevie

Typical, at 2000 mine appears to be on the cusp. How do I find out which mine is, and how do I find out what was fitted to a 1998 Mk4?

But if it's the same block and head on all 7 engines, the manifold swap may solve it?

Oh hang on... I now remember he definitely said the heads were different...

Reply to
Stevie

Hang on, he said the heads were different...

Reply to
Stevie

Ha, tad far away :-( I'm in central Scotland.

The head and block are the same, as Tim said they revised the inlet and injection rail because of the non-return line on the fuel lines.

It literally shouldn't take more than a day of solid grafting to get the thing back on the road again.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

OK. I'll go to the garage at lunchtime and suggest:

1) The new engine should fit, but keep the existing manifold and associated injection rail. 2) Keep the new engine's wiring connectors and attach them to the existing wiring.

Anything else?

Ta for your help still. It's painful being without a car, and worse when it's your own fault! Please bare with me!

Steve

Reply to
Stevie

Stevie ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Strikes me that'll be the very difficult and involved option.

You'd need to use the ECU off the new engine if the injection system's different. Which will be tied to the security system, so you may need to replace the ignition lock. You'll need to muck about with the fuel plumbing

- perhaps even replace the tank if there's a difference in the return.

Just swap the manifold and be done with it!

Reply to
Adrian

Oh, I assumed swapping the manifold and solving the wiring problem were two different problems.

So are there *any* wiring/other problems to be expected if we swap the manifold?

Reply to
Stevie

Stevie ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, just different solutions to the same problem.

I wouldn't have thought so.

Reply to
Adrian

OK, I've just spoken to the mechanic.

The fuel rail on the old engine bolts into the head, on the new engine it bolts into the manifold.

If we swap the manifold, the fuel rail has nowhere to bolt to.

As has been mentioned, the fuel rail is different between the two engines. Can anyone explain the difference to me, and how to plumb the new rail into the existing car, as it would solve the mounting bolt problem if we could use the new rail...

He also said the radiator may get in the way as the new engine is a few inches bigger in that area. Does anyone know if this is true? Do yr2000 and yr2002 cars have the same rad mounted in the same way?

Cheers Steve

Reply to
Stevie

Ha, no wonder you could make such a bold promise then! ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Stevie ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The injectors don't (usually - I don't know this specific engine) fit into the head. They fit into the manifold.

Yes.

Reply to
Adrian

The injectors definitely go directly into the head and not the manifold.

Reply to
Stevie