grinding lipped brake discs

Nine year old Corolla has just had the brake pads replaced and because they were squealing the garage sanded down the brake pads, but they are still noisy. The discs are 'lipped' (Car has done 75K miles) and we are told that must be the reason for the continuing noise.

Looking on the internet, I see people have said take a file to the lip or put a grinding wheel in an electric drill and grind away the lip. Could I reasonably ask a mechanic to do the job like that or would it be cheaper to buy new (or secondhand discs) from somewhere? Grateful for some basic advice on what best to do and with keeping the cost down. Thanks.

Reply to
john east

new discs are very cheap and should have been fitted at the time that the new pads were. Buy a matched disc and pad kit and fit the whole lot together.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks but the pads have already been fitted. Went to the online 'express car parts' and total cost of four discs comes to £150 or so. Surely someone grinding off the discs has to be a more cost effective option please?

Reply to
john east

if the disc is lipped enough to cause a problem then it needs to be replaced. It will not be cost effective to have your discs reground (which they could be if they are still thick enough, have you checked?) and the results are unlikely to be as good as a new set, brakes are an essential part of a car and scrimping on them is very unwise.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The lip has nothing to do with a squeal. Try copper grease

Reply to
Cecil
[...]

It's more likely that only the front discs are making the noise. You should be able to find a pair locally for around 50UKP.

Hopefully the discs are not so worn as to be dangerous. If you really can't afford to spend out on safety-related items for your car, the best bet would be to put up with the noise; brake squeal in itself is not always an indication of a fault.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

john east laid this down on his screen :

I don't think the lip or lack of would make any difference to the squeal. Usually the lip can simply be chipped away gently with a small hammer, but I doubt it is causing any issues.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Don't think so either. Otherwise every new set of pads on old discs would squeal. Assuming any anti-squeal shims or springs are in place and good, I'd try a smear of copper grease on the pad backing.

If it is simply rust if might be - but I'd try doing this to steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

By definition the pads don't touch the lip, or at least new ones will only just brush it because it's the pads that formed the lip in the first place. It'll all bed in soon anyway but at 75k it must be well overdue for new disks if those are original ones. The wear limit is usually about 2mm off the thickness so if the lip is 1mm on each side they're finished. New pads on worn disks are not a sensible idea because disks don't wear evenly so the new pads won't contact them properly and the cost of skimming or a mechanics time will far outweigh the cost of new disks.

If a disk is worn enough to need skimming it's worn enough to need replacing basically. Having said that if you have your own lathe like me and your time's your own then I always lightly skim a part worn disk when I change pads just to get a perfect contact surface. It wouldn't be cost effective to do it for anyone else though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

You have your own workshop and build engines IIRC? I don't think that many of us are in the same league.

Reply to
GB