OMG - £85 to fit an alarm?

Hello,

I have just had a reply back from microscan - I nearly fell off my chair. £85 for fitting the Microscan AN211 - OUCH, the alarm is only about £55. From what i saw on the web site all that needs connecting is the positive wire to the battery, the wire to the hazard flashers and one to the remote central locking - both if required. That can't take more than 30 minutes.

What has everyone else paid? To have the AN700 upgrade fitted to my existing central locking etc is outrageous! Stick a 1 infront. If I knew where to find all the wires in the car I would do it myself.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff

Well,

If your brave, you could fit it yourself!

I just recently fitted the Microscan AN214 to my Seicento. No haynes manual or anything (but would help you with cable colours).

This required cable to battery, 2 to indicators, 2 to central locking,

5/5 to microwave device in center of car, switched positive to microwave thingy, flashing LED, 1 positive to battery via peizo emitter in engine bay.

Took a while because I had to find grommets, undo all the center console, fidn somewhere in the bonnet to put it (quite cramped in there) and then find out colours to central locking.

For the locks, I took off the door panel inside and traced to cables to the motor, then shaved off a small amount of sheath and took the two cable to ground seperately to work out which opend the door and which one shut the door.

Easy as that

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

The message from Tim Anderson contains these words:

And considering the amount of time needed to do it neatly and properly I reckon £85 wasn't actually a bad price.

Reply to
Guy King

I was looking at CAT1 alarms recently. Typically about £100 to fit.

I would do it myself, but it was for insurance, and they needed a certificate from an approved fitter.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Well, in a round a bout way, my point exactly!!!!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

That's what you're paying for. How much trim do you fancy removing to fit it neatly and properly with wires connected inside the car - soldered connections and all? I fitted the AN213 to Mrs Chewie's Corsa and it took me all day (somewhere discreet to put the microwave, somewhere prominent for the LED, remove existing immob etc). £85 doesn't sound too bad really... £70/hour to change your oil (and they take an hour, too) at my local Volvo dealership says so.

Reply to
Chewie

Hah! I've seen the mess 'fitters' make of installing an alarm. It's why I haven't put the Cat. 2 immobiliser in my car yet; it has to be done by an approved 'installer' who will undoubtedly use a million blue scotchlock connectors and some twisty wires.

Though I must admit 'shaving' your cables and shorting them to find out what does what seems to be a pretty nasty way of doing it, and asking for trouble on anything with italian wiring... Why not just disconnect the multiplug and use a length of wire...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick