removing and refitting headlight on 1996 Renault Clio

In my Haynes manual it says that in order to replace the headlight unit on my Clio I need to remove the bonnet and the bumper. Why? Is it just for ease of access? I can't see why I need to do remove them (or are there bolts/screws that I've missed so far?). I have very small hands but maybe that won't be enough to mean I don't need to remove them?

It's already taken me an hour just to disconnect battery, remove broken headlight bulb (for fear of gashing hand on it later while removing unit itself) and disconnect sidelight... and I now can't work out how to disconnect the indicator light, which is in the same housing - the Haynes photos and guidelines are really sketchy!

But my main concern is about the bonnet etc - if I really need to do that then it'll be a garage job and I can't afford to have it done! I would appreciate any input.. thanks!

Reply to
Sarkymite

The message from "Sarkymite" contains these words:

Try without and see what happens.

Reply to
Guy King

Finished changing the DS unit on the Wife's Clio about 30 minutes ago (glass is somewhere along the A180 !)

No need to remove bonnet or bumper but the lower bracket which joins the bumper trim is a bit fiddley. The indicator lampholder is a bayonet type fitting - just rotate and it pops out. The headlamp load adjuster is similar but with a small hook to lift before it will rotate.

HTH

Les J.

Reply to
Les J.