Strange satnavs

I have a Peugeot with an RT6 radio/satnav.

It has a most peculiar problem in that it will warn when driving towards speed cameras on the right hand side of the road but is silent when driving towards it on the same side as the camera.

Yes it is the one I hacked last week to enable postcodes to be entered but I can't for the life of me see how this would cause it.

Looking around various forums I have found a couple of other people with the RT6 having the same problem.

I thought speed cameras were located by coordinates.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Ted H

Keep to the speed limits?

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Oh I do. It is just a puzzle I would like to solve if I can.

Looking around forums it seems that many others are having the same problem even with software direct from Peugeot.

Is it possible that being French the car is set for LHD somehow?

Reply to
Ted H
[...]

Did this phenomenon occur after you had 'hacked' it, by any chance?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It is French and expects you to be driving on the right hand side of the road.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That would be my guess. Well, driving on the right.

Reply to
newshound

Yes but the car is RHD

Reply to
Graham T

No way to tell as the speed camera facility comes as an extra.

Reply to
Graham T

Yes but "It is French" ...!!!

Reply to
Graham J

It wouldn't matter whether it was LHD or RHD, the satnav obviously knows which country the camera is in and should only flag up speed cameras in the correct direction of travel.

In France, speed camera detectors and warners are illegal.

Reply to
MrCheerful

OK, so it only happened with the hack.

Is that the case for the other folk who have the same problem, or was it once working for them?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Googling it there seems to be others with the same problem who bought their upgrade direct from a Peugeot outlet.

Peugeot are now arguing with their outlet (Home Maps) as to whether it's the satnav or software doing it.

Reply to
Graham T

The satnav comes 'bare bones'. The car is good but the satnav is a heap of s**te.

As it comes there is no postcode entry possible you have to spell the entire roads name and there are no speed camera warnings.

To enable these features via the USB bus Peugeot wanted £70.

I'd like to rip the poxxy thing out and use a TomTom but the heads up has the radio built in it.

Reply to
Graham T

Which means ALL smart phones are illegal. To enforce it every time the French police stop someone they would have to confiscate their phone and send it for analysis to find out if a camera location app was loaded.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I always get the feeling that the French make RHD cars without knowing quite why. And certainly without going into the details closely - I'm sure I found a fusebox once that hadn't reversed the driver/passenger fuses for windows/lights/what have you.

Reply to
Scott M

My BMW E39 didn't reverse the wipers either for RHD. Not so you'd notice - until pointed out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah yes, but the articulation on the RH wiper arm made up for that!

Reply to
Scott M

Yes - probably better than many cars even with the less than ideal setup for RHD. I wonder if a driver used to the LHD car would notice the difference?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never got near an E39 until a friend bought one and, being nerdy, already vaguely knew about the wipers. But it never seemed obvious from inside the cabin. So I reckon the average driver wouldn't notice until they came to change the wiper blades.

Reply to
Scott M

It is if you look at it. The left hand wiper works right up to nearly the entire edge of the screen. The right hand one leaves the top corner unswept. But still better than many RHD setups.

One of those rare cars it was difficult to find much wrong with design wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)