Stuck Dipstick

Nissan Primera 1.6 1998 The dipstick is stuck in. It will rotate but won't budge. Is this a case of removing the sump, then destroying the top end to let me pull it out from under the engine? Any other ideas?

Reply to
Simon

pull hard with mole grips :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Stop being a wuss ;) Get some mole grips on it and yank it till either it comes out or something in you breaks ;)

Reply to
Dan405

Often the dipstick tube is bolted to the engine, so if this is the case you could try unbolting it.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Drain the sump, put something explosive inside, put the plug back in and hold down the filler cap :P. That's clearly the right way.

Reply to
Doki

....and use it more often to prevent future occurrence :-)

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

It's got caught up in the big end shells (a common fault with Primeras). I'd scrap it if I were you and buy a new one. I'll give you £20 for it, to take it away.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

If the dipstick will rotate then it's not the dipstick itself that's stuck. Most dipsticks have a rubber collar at the top to form a seal when the dipstick is in place. Strikes me that it is this rubber collar that has become stuck in place - preventing the dipstick from being removed but allowing it to rotate inside the collar. Most dipsticks have a 'loop' or 'hook' at the top. Use some washing-line or other rope to loop through and give it a heave - it'll come out!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Hmmm...never known either of my Primeras to get a sticky dipstick, although they don't need much use on a Primera (unless there's a leak) :-) The end of the dipstick is shaped - is it possible that the shaped section has become snagged on the bottom of the dipstick tube?

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

spray outside of dipstick tube with wd40, liberally. Invert car upside down and rock gently. wd40 will drain down outside of tube. Let it soak in. spin car while on roof. Turn right side up and then pull dipstick out. voila!!

Reply to
Lou Rolls

Lou Rolls ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You forgot the warning to protect the paint on the roof while the car's upside down.

PS - your post was also upside down.

Reply to
Adrian

No need you hang it by the wheels to a sky hook

Reply to
Tom Burton

I've found that getting the car upside down is a great way to find all the spare change that went missing. I made over £10. ;)

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray