synthetic oils or mineral?

Hi All, Own an Omega V6 and normally run it on a semi synthetic oil which I change every 6 months or 4000 miles.The main usage is around town with a couple of longish runs at the weekend. It's oil change time again and am wondering if it's worth the extra expense of the synthetic oil or should I buy a good quality mineral such as Hypergrade? The car takes over 5 litres so I end up buying two cans of oil. Many thanks.

Reply to
Barnes

In message , Barnes writes

Unless you are racing it, I can't imagine the V6 being overworked so mineral or semi-synth would be fine.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Any oil which meets basic API petrol standard and is of the appropriate viscosity will be more than good for your rather cautious schedule. If you use some trick expensive oil then at least partly use its potential by draining at between 6000 and 12000 miles. Otherwise, what *is* the point?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

If you insist on change every 6mts/4000 mile then you are wasting your money using synthetic oil..... It is designed to do at least 10000 mile or a time period of 1 year...... so a good quality 5/30 or 10/40 mineral oil will be perfectly fine.

JK

Reply to
JK

I think you are using the right oil but I would probably leave the change till 10,000 or 1 year (whichever comes first).

I would also use a genuine Vauxhall filter (they are cheap) and a new sump plug washer.

Finally, take it for a good run before changing the oil and leave it to drain out for a bit.

Reply to
Alan