What Is a Shunt Resistor?

A shunt resistor is a precision device used to measure current in an electrical circuit. Also known as a current shunt or an ammeter shunt, it works by measuring the voltage drop across a known resistance. Ohm’s law states that V = I x R, or solving for I, I = V / R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance. If the resistance is known and the voltage drop is measured, then the current can be determined.

'Merchant Services'

albertwillson

I consider your unsolicited wisdom to be badly worded and highly misleading .

A resistor can't measure anything. It would be better written as 'it allows measurement of a voltage across a known resistance', but technically even that is incorrect because your calculation doesn't take account of the resi stance of the ammeter in parallel with it.

Reply to
Arty Effem

...Albert Wilson is a spamming c*nt?

;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
[...]

And apparently can't spell his own surname! ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ohm my God!

Reply to
The Revd

Really? Have you spoken to Mr Wheatstone about that?

Reply to
Steve Firth

measurement of a voltage across a known resistance', but technically even that is incorrect because your calculation doesn't take account of the resistance of the ammeter in parallel with it.

Wouldn't that be, 'the input impedance of the volt meter in parallel with it'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A bridge too far...

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It doesn't say it does.

Pointless change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Divide & conquer, say I.

Reply to
Huge

Given that he died in 1875, so to do would require an entirely different type of instrument; however I'm sure that he would concede that the balanced state of his bridge must be measured by a meter.

Reply to
Arty Effem

That's the way I read it, in what I consider a very misleading and unenlightening definition.

Reply to
Arty Effem

Well no the galvanometer is not used to measure anything it simply indicates that no current is flowing. The galvanometer does not do the measurement. The measurement is performed using the potentiometer, which is a resistor, originally a resistance wire and a knife edge. But it's nice to see you wriggle.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As the Bishop said to the Pole Dancer.

Reply to
Gordon H

The term galvanometer refers primarily to an ammeter, a Wheatstone bridge u ses a voltmeter.

You can't read voltage just by looking at two points in a circuit, you need an instrument, therefore it is the instrument that is doing the measuring. The type of potentiometer you describe cannot have any credible calibration , so once it balances the bridge, its own resistance would need to be verif ied by another measuring instrument, making it pointless other than for dem onstrating a proof of concept. A switched resistor network must be used.

Reply to
Arty Effem

Care to explain the difference between the design of an ammeter and voltmeter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the case of all the meters I have used, from Avo's to the digital one I use now, it seems to be something to do with the switch on the front. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

You can & almost always did make a Wheatstone bridge with a galvanometer, adding an extra resistor just reduces the sensitivity

The absolute resistance is fairly irrelevant, you just need to make the wire consistent.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Which switches in a shunt resistor. ;-)

All conventional moving coil etc meters measure current. Which is why the movement will give the FSD somewhere in mA.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)