Battery?

I need one, any preference between Westco and Autozone? My local Autozone has a battery for my 1992 Miata and Batterys + has the Westco.

My results with Westco (my last two batteries) have been very mediocre, is tha Autozone better, worse, the same?

Reply to
XS11E

Mine too. And I had two, too.

I put one in my NC Miata. The Miata I shipped to Europe for a vacation trip and then shipped back. Of course the shipping company, Hoegh Autoliners is supposed to disconnect the battery. Especially on the trip back where the car is on the boat for a couple of months. But then, they did not. So the battery was dead as a door nail. Now if an AGM battery is dead as a door nail, according to Miata.net, you can not just power charge it. You have to trickle charge it overnight. A power boost got me out of the Hoegh terminal, but after a sorely needed stop at a gas station, I did not have that luxury. I tried to explain the issue to the AAA battery guy that showed up on my call, but obviously he had no clue what an AGM battery was. I ended up replacing the (probably OK) battery with a conventional one since I had to get home. So the bottom line is that I have no long-term data on the Advanced Autoparts AGM battery. (Which may or may not be the same as the AutoZone one.) It worked fine before it got on the Hoegh boat back, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks for the info, I believe I'll give the Autozone a try. Funny, in my neighborhood Autozone and Batteries + are right next door to each other so it makes little difference which one I use. The Autozone is cheaper by about $38 so that helps make the decision.

FWIW, my previous Westco batteries have been mail order, if I get a battery locally I'll at least be able to check the date code before paying, that might make a big difference in the life of the battery.

Reply to
XS11E

Interesting point. I never thought of that.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen