Need help with 1990 4-sale

Hi everyone -- I'm a newbie here; never owned a Miata before.

Lately I've gotten interested in buying a 2-seat roadster and I found a 1990 for sale in (what looks like) good shape. The seller (a car salesman himself) wants $7500 Canadian obo

  • 00 for an accessory hard top.

I took it for a test drive and mostly liked it, except I found the steering a bit heavy (I'm used to power steering, so that could be a factor).

It's got a recently-installed rebuilt motor (if I can believe the guy).

Problem is I'm new to sports cars and don't know what questions to ask. I'm in the Vancouver area and want something for short range touring and winter commuting (summertime I ride a motorbike to work).

I'd like to get the hard roof along with the car, but it hasn't rained around here for weeks so I don't know how to find out if both of the roofs are watertight.

Any help appreciated.

TIA, Sean_Q_

Reply to
Sean

Offer him the 75, only IF he throws in the top. Make like you don't NEED the top.

GIVE HIM/HER TIME TO THINK..

negotiate up to 80... then walk.

Never know....

Reply to
Remove This

Sean wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no.spam:

If you haven't been there yet, check out miata.net. In particular:

's of great info there on what too look/watch out for when buying a Miata. $7500 (~$6700 US) seems a bit high for a rebuilt 90 to me. A 90 in prime condition may be worth that much or more, but I'd be suprised if one w/ a rebuilt engine is in prime condition. The prices listed by edmunds.com or kbb.com are usually a good way to get an idea how much you can expect to pay. Tho Miatas generally sell a bit above book value, so you may just have to just shop around to see what the market is like there.

Is there something in particular you like about the 90 model? You can find on miata.net the changes between model years, but the 90-93 are basically the same. 94-97 has the same body w/ a 1.8l engine (vs the original 1.6). 1999 brought on the first significant body change. Test drive several Miatas if you can. For the price you're looking at, I would expect you could find anything from 1990 to maybe 2000 models. With a budget around the $7500CDN range, I'd probably look for a 94 myself, tho I'm a bit biased. :)

This may be a Blinding Flash of the Obvious to a Canadian, but if you're looking at a Miata as a winter car, you'll most likely want to have 2 sets of wheels. One for winter & one for summer. W/ the right tires, the very well balanced Miata does quite well. W/ old all-seasons like the ones that were on mine when I bought it.. it doesn't go well.

-Scott Black 94 B

Reply to
Scott Hughes

And more frighteningly, it doesn't stop well either. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well, $7500 (~$6700 US) sounds little bit too much, I bought a 1991 in Jan, 2006 for $4100.00 US, original owner, original motor, 102K miles, looks and runs great.

Abid

Reply to
akhan

I thought all 1990 cars had PAS. Look under the hood/bonnet (whatever you call it in Canada) for a PAS pump. If there is one, be afraid.

Reply to
Zog the Undeniable

Reply to
ron

I don't know the rate of exchange of Canadian to US currency, but if I was looking for a 1990 Miata with around a 100,000 miles and in pretty decent shape and rust free, I would expect to pay around $3000 to $3500 in US dollars for it and $300 to $40 for a hard top. That is if I bought it here in Alabam. Ron

Reply to
ron

Hi Sean:

Mitch from Victoria here. I owned a 1991 Miata Special Edition while living in Vancouver, and just picked up an MX-5 GS a couple of weeks ago.

I bought my 91 Miata pre-owned, and while it had a hard top that I used in December and January - I certainly didn't need it in Vancouver. It was nice to have the larger rear window, less wind noise, and a different look for a couple of months each year, but certainly not necessary, and I didn't get a hard top with my MX-5.

Even with the hard top on in December and January, there are always those sunny days where you want to spontaneously drop the top (I timed myself yesterday, and it was well under two seconds!), and this can't be done with the hard top affixed. Some people including myself also hold the opinion that a rag-top looks better as a rag-top.

The heater for the small Miata cabin is very strong, and it's nice to have the top down on a brisk sunny day with warm air flowing over you. If it's thrown in with the car, or available re-owned for under $500, it would be a neat accessory, but otherwise you probably don't need it (unless you take frequent trips up to Prince George!).

With regards to the steering, that heavy or "direct" feeling is appropriate for this type of car, and you will quickly come to appreciate the responsiveness. I'm still getting reacquainted with driving a roadster after owning a Jeep YJ for several years. Height, visibility, road handling, acceleration, stick control, are all so different to most other cars you may have driven.

If you really want to sell yourself on the car, drive along Beach Avenue in the West End by those condos with mirrored glass. I still remember driving home after work and seeing my reflection in the Miata with English Bay on the other side. A very narcissistic moment!

While the price you quoted seems quite high (especially the hard top), Miatas do tend to hold their value, and I've never seen a "beater" or even a dirty Miata in British Columbia. People tend to look after these cars, and I've certainly never owned any vehicle that cost as little to maintain. After owning my 91 for about three years, I sold it in 1997 for more than I paid for it, and the only money I put into the car was for two new tires, and a turn signal bulb.

You may also consider that when buying from a dealer you have to pay GST in addition to PST, and that adds several hundred dollars to the purchase price.

Check your local Buy & Sell

for comparative pricing. Here is an example of Miatas currently listed in your area for under $7,500. Hope this helps .... Mitch:

1992 MAZDA MIATA conv, 2 doors, 5 speed, am/fm/CD stereo, ST, no rust, v gd cond, AirCared, asking, $5200. Tel: 604-719-4874

1992 MAZDA MIATA MX-5, 5 spd, new batt, new top, new tires, well maint,

150,000 kms, exc cond, $7295. Tel: 604-254-8852

1992 MAZDA MIATA, 2dr, Convertible, White, Manual, FWD, Cylinder 4, Gas, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, Bucket Seats, CD Player Stock#H71-4432A $7,995.00 Mertin Hyundai Tel: 604-702-1000

MIATA, RED, 5-SPEED MANUAL, new tires, new soft top, hardtop, one owner, dealer serviced, 180,000km $7,200.00. North Vancouver. Tel: 778-772-4512

1991 MAZDA MIATA, British racing green, loaded, tan lthr int, cruise, a/c, pw, ps, pb, am/fm CD, new tires, no accidents, 119,000 mi, ABS, ltd slip diff, HT avail for extra $850, asking, $7100 obo. Tel: 604-736-4977

1991 MAZDA MIATA, 4 cyl, 5 spd, fresh red paint, new ST, glass back window, CD player, alloys, 223,000 km, v nice cond, AirCared, save on taxes, v nice cond, $5100 obo. Tel: 778-668-1559

1991 MAZDA MIATA, new clutch, brakes, excellent running condition, AirCared, must sell, call Martin for details, $3700 obo. Tel: 604-619-0909

1991 MAZDA MIATA CONVERTIBLE, 2 doors, auto, 119000 km, white ext, hard and soft top, pwr windows, pwr steering, a/c, $6800 obo. 604-767-0036

604-767-0036 604-767-0036

1991 MAZDA MIATA, red ext, nice looking car, $4900. Tel: 604-315-1509

1991 MAZDA MIATA, Convertible, Red, Manual, RWD, 1.6L, Cylinder 4, All Equipped, Are you ready for summer? Notice why people in convertibles always seem to look forward to their next commute? Here is your chance to find your smile on the way to work! Local car, no accidents, new top, (yes, its has power steering), premium condition and priced so low you better hurry before its you that has to watch someone else smiling in this car! was $7995...Wait......Labour Day Long weekend blowout...on now!!! Hurry!!!!... $5,850.00 CANEM AUTO GROUP. 5689 Byrne Rd, corner of Marine Way Burnaby. Trade welcome. We finance, warranty. 1-877-922-9367
Tel: 604-439-9367

1991 MAZDA MIATA SOFT TOP, 158000kms, 2dr, Convertible, Red, Manual, RWD, Cylinder 4, Gas, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Power Brakes, Power Steering, This is an excellent example of a Miata. New Tires and Clutch, and a 2 year old soft top make this a beautiful car to own. Drives as good as it looks! Stock#234977 $7,888.00 Milani Auto Sales, 6951 E. Hastings, toll free -

1-866-496-AUTO, check out
140 cars & trucks to choose from! We Buy,Sell,Trade and Finance Cars and Trucks. Tel: 604-291-7355

1990 MAZDA MIATA, SILVER, 5-spd, hardtop/softtop, 180,000 $4,000.00. obo. Burnaby. Tel: 604-299-0766

1990 MAZDA MIATA. LOW mileage (140000) runs perfect, Female driver, parked mostly underground. I'm the second owner and have been driving this car for about 10 years, low maintenance; cheap on gas. I recently bought a new car. Please feel free to call if you need more info. Sindy $5,300.00. obo. vancouver bc. Tel: 604-722-7933

1990 MAZDA MIATA MX-5, 152,000kms, white, 5spd, JVC CD/stereo player, JVC speakers, 16" BBS rims, NEW high end tires, very clean, extremely fuel efficient, passed air-care very easily, garage kept. EMAIL ME OR CALL ME WITH INQUIRIES snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com $5,499.00. obo. Port Moody. Tel:

778-998-7242

1990 MZADIA MIATA MX5. Black, 153,000 kms, aircared, 5 speed, air intake system, new still in the box slotted/cross drilled rotors and brake pads, headrest speakers. $6,500.00. obo. Delta. Tel: 604-805-9102

1990 MAZDA MIATA MX-5 blk/blk, 176,000 kms local car w receipts, well maint, AirCared, $6500 upgrades, 6CD, 8 skrs, Koni adjus shocks, racing beat cold air, frame braces, helium whls, Toyo T1-S tires, exh, nds nothing, everything works, $7400 obo. Tel: 604-688-8114

1990 MAZDA MIATA, 188488kms, 2dr, Convertible, White, Cylinder 4, Local, no accidents $5,990.00 A.P.G Car Sales & Leasing 1348 Marine Drive (N.V) visit us online

Tel: 604-983-2906

1990 MAZDA MIATA ROADSTAR Convertible, 2 dr, 2wd, 4 cyl, 1.6, Gas, 5 spd, 55000 kms Mazda Miata Like New Roadstar Silver with only 55000KM. Super Clean like new. Momo Steering. Imported from Japan. Right Hand Drive. See to beleive its condition. Recently inspected. Serviced.. $7200. Maximum Overdrive Auto Importers DL#30432
604-726-3109 3411 NO 3 Rd, Richmond, BC tel: 604-726-3109
Reply to
Mitch

Thanks for the help everyone... looks like I'll be a while checking things out.

Sean_Q_

Reply to
Sean

Consider the investigating, the shopping and the test driving as part of the fun, it really is and you'll be a smart buyer when you pull the trigger.

One thing I'd add, tire quality can make a huge difference in how these cars drive. You can't test drive all of them with the same tires obviously but, equally important, is tire pressure and since most people are clueless on this issue (sadly, even some miata folks), you really want to make this part of your pre-testdrive check. Make sure that pressures are equal rt to lft and not too much different frnt to bk. Optimum tire pressures can be debated here all day (and have been) but probably nothing below 25psi and, best if not over 32psi or so. The optimum psi not being the issue here but, the attempt to be able to compare 'apples to apples'. This will help your butt interpret the suspension more accurately.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote in news:e3b74$45048e2a$97d5bbd7$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Nothing to debate, everyone knows the pressure on the door sticker is the correct one and decreasing the pressure even 1/2 lb will cause the tire to overheat and explode, killing the driver, the passenger and any bystanders while increasing the pressure by 1/2 pound will cause the tire to explode with sufficient force to rupture the space/time continum and destroy all life on earth.

Or maybe not....

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote: >

Yeah right, but I can definitely tell the difference when one of my tires is more than 1 PSI different from the others. FWD Corollas are sensitive to tire pressure like that too. The best investment I've made for my car in terms of _sports car performance_ (you're spose ta hear all kinda zoomy sounds when you read that phrase) was a digital bicycle tire gauge and a portable air pump.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan

That is good advice. I test drove somewhere between 20 and 30 miatas before I bought my first one, I lost track after a while. It was kind of fun but became tedious, especially doing it after work and on the weekends. It might have been different if every one had been decent, but some were real dogs. Even a miata must be maintained.

In addition, that car salesperson slime was becoming a part of me that would not wash off. If I offended any car salespeople, good, that was my intent.

A lot of the cars appeared to be in good shape but just didn't feel right. This could have been from an accident, bad alignment, or tire pressures as you mentioned, which I did not think to check on a used car. I will bet that many others fail to do so as well, there are so many things to look at that it is easy to forget if you don't have it on your checklist.

One '95 miata that drove beautifully had a big ragged hole on the driver side floorboard. The salesperson told me that it was not a big deal. I told him I guess not, as long as he didn't mind me walking away from the car. I don't go to car lots or dealerships to make friends. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I could sure tell the other day when I picked up a nail and had 28 pounds on one side in the rear and 12 in the other. Things were a bit squirmy on acceleration out of the driveway.

I agree, a portable air compressor had gotten me going without using the donut wheel, which I only carry on long trips anyway, usually without needing to plug the tire, but I have one of those kits in there too just in case. Only a sidewall tear or a total blowout, neither of which I have ever experienced in any of my cars, would be likely to leave me stranded.

I have almost always had a compressor and tire plug kit in my car for about 20 years. I have only needed the plug kit a few times and then had it professionally patched or replaced each time afterwards.

Pat

Reply to
pws