Recommendations for convertible top treatment

I only heard of RagTop cleaner in a pump bottle, and their protectant as always in an aerosol can. Sounds like a completely different animal.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

I use soap and water for cleaning (same soap as cleaning the rest of the car), then shoe polish as "treatment". Works a treat; makes it go nicely black again and protects it from rain - rain pearls off properly for at least a month or so afterwards.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Now I've got to ask, Liquid or Paste shoe polish? Brand? (they vary widely):

Fabric or vinyl?

Never heard of this. Now wash away in the rain?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Paste. Kiwi brand - I'm in the UK so I don't know if you get that wherever you may be. Basically, normal old shoe polish in a tin.

Here we go - I think you're in the US, right?

, the one on the left - Paste Polish.

Vinyl (original roof on my '91).

Well, in time, but it takes a while. I used to park my car in front of my house before I moved and got a garage; in autumn and spring, when it rains from time to time, I used to do the roof every couple of months or so. Now that it's parked in my garage and only gets rained on when driving I've gone maybe 6 months since I last did it. Try it - it's cheap, leaves no crap residue behind, doesn't run, makes the roof look really nice and black, and waterproofs it properly.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Won't it stain your clothes if you brush up against it?

Reply to
XS11E

snip:

I'm guessing that you put it on sparingly (so it doesn't cake up in the nooks and crannies) and that you buff it with a nice course terry cloth once it dries, right? I don't think I normally rub up against the top anyway but, this is an interesting option. I may try it. Oh, yes, here in the US Kiwi brand paste shoe polish is 'the' brand!

Tell you the truth, I've treated my top with what I think is the greatest tire treatment out there: Eagle One brand 'WET Tire Shine' It's a poor description as I would never put a high gloss wet look shine on my tires. It basically makes the tires look new and freshly sprayed (and wiped down) with a silicone lubricant. Anyway, it lasts quite awhile and I decided to give it a whirl on the black vinyl top. Looked very good, didn't seem to bleed any residue in the rain and lasted quite awhile (maybe a couple months) and faded away so gradually, hardly noticed it.

Later, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

NO, But you should see it tap dance. Does it take a long time to "spit shine" the top ? :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Don't know really, I don't make a habit of rubbing up against my car, much as I love it ;-)

Seriously, no. Apply the paste moderately liberally with a shoeshining brush (not so much that there are crumbs of it everywhere, but enough that the whole hood is properly covered), leave it to dry 10 - 15 minutes, then polish with a clean brush. That gets rid of anything that hasn't soaked in and gets rid of any crumbs that may have collected.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Pretty much, though I've never tried with a cloth - using a clean brush is how I was taught to do it in the army and you don't argue with that, oh no you don't, and you do it the same way forever, no questions asked. Not that they taught us to polish Miata tops in the army, but our boots.

And it doesn't seem to attack the material in any way, no? I don't know, dry it out, make it crack or anything?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Now, that's only if you want the 'High Gloss' Bruce ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo