The dealers I've spoken to so far don't seem to know anything about this capability (surprise, surprise).
TIA
Michael
On 2004-10-12 09:51:43 -0500, Michael Porter

The owners manual for the '04 S class specifically mentions that MP3-CDs can be played in the head unit but is silent about the trunk mounted CD changer. So I assume it can't.
Haven't tried either one.
Harvey Louzon wrote:

and see what happens when I put the MP3 CD's in the juke box.
Michael
On 2004-10-14 04:57:18 -0500, Michael Porter

Just tried it. Indeed, it works in the head unit as advertised but not in the trunk. For the latter I get a "track error" followed by a "magazine empty" message.
Harvey Louzon wrote:

a user of a new E Class in Norway which I quote below in case any one comes across this thread in the future