Can I play MP3 CD's through a COMAND system?

I'm based in the UK and currently looking at replacing my E320cdi(last model) with either a new model E320cdi or possibly a second hand S320cdi. I replaced my factory fit radio and CD juke box on the current car with an Alpine head unit and juke box which are giving superb results playing MP3 CD's I've recorded on my PC (66 hours of music in the juke box plus another 11 in the slot on the head unit). This facility is so good I really want to keep it on my next car. I've already established that I won't be able to install the alpine stuff in either a new E class or S/H S class. However, I've seen a reference that says the new COMAND systems fitted to E and S class cars will play MP3 CD's. Can anyone tell me (a) is this true (b) if true does that include CD's in the M-B juke box (c) if true how can I tell if the COMAND unit on a car I'm considering has this capability (I realise I can stick a CD in the slot but that might not be too practical if the car I'm considering is in a showroom

150 miles away!)

The dealers I've spoken to so far don't seem to know anything about this capability (surprise, surprise).

TIA

Michael

Reply to
Michael Porter

The owners manual for the '04 S class specifically mentions that MP3-CDs can be played in the head unit but is silent about the trunk mounted CD changer. So I assume it can't.

Haven't tried either one.

Harvey Louzon

Thanks, sounds as though I'll have to find a dealer with one in stock and see what happens when I put the MP3 CD's in the juke box.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Porter

Just tried it. Indeed, it works in the head unit as advertised but not in the trunk. For the latter I get a "track error" followed by a "magazine empty" message.

Harvey Louzon

Thanks, this is also c>

Reply to
Michael Porter