engine noise

I'VE GOT A W124 2.3L PETROL MB. THE CAR WAS RECENTLY BOUGHT AND THERE IS A NOISE IN THE ENGINE, SOUNDS LIKE A FORD WITH NOISY TAPPETS. PERSONALLY I THINK IT IS THE HYDRAULIC LIFTERS AS THE NOISE IS A LITTLE LESS
WHEN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE GOES UP TO NORMAL. SOMEONE TOLD IT IT IS THE TIMING CHAIN. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO DETERMINE CAUSE OF NOISE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE PETER

‚úĖ