Front-Back Play in 380sl Shift Knob

The shift knob of my 81 380sl with 115K miles on it has recently developed some play in the front-back direction in each gear, and especially when I shift gears. In addition, it sounds like something
might be loose in the shift knob mechanism, but I don't really know enough about it to even hazzard a guess. However, the transmission still seems to be shifting perfectly.
Can anybody give me any advice on this problem
Thanks in advance.
That's easy... pick up a tranny shifter bushing at the dealer and pop it in.
Thanks a lot Tiger. You're a gem!!!