Last year of the SOHC 300E?

Was it '91 or '92?

In the US, the last year for single-cam sixes is 1992. The '93 300E is really a 3.2 liter twincam, and the 300E 2.8 is also a twincam.
The 190 however still had single-cam fours and sixes and did not get the twin-cam engines, as these were slated to come in with the all-new 202 (C-Class) cars of 1994.
The loss of the inline six was a shame, i think...

I concur. Mercedes claimed the switchover to be due to packaging issues in C-Class and wanted the cheap route of providing the same motor for entire model range...
Oliver
Chris O'Malley wrote:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 04:13:51 GMT, "Chris O'Malley"

The new engines are so much better and no head gasket problems.
I'm sure thats true, but there's something about the power delivery from an inline six.... it just seems smoother....
bmw made a great one as well..