Petrol Cap Cover and Boot.

About two weeks ago I took my Mercedes 230E (1987) model to a mechanic to skim my top and replace the top gasket. After I got the car back,there was a whistling noise as I was driving. The mechanic could
not figure out what it was but I thought it came from the gas cylinders at the back of the car.Since then I found that my boot no longer opens when I open the drivers door, neither does the petrol cap cover open up anymore and I have the inconvenience of everytime having to put my hands in at the back of the boot to physically pull open the petrol filler cover.
Can anyone assist?
Shane Allen (South Africa)