Aftermarket Cruise Control Systems

We're currently planning a road trip to Italy. :)

But I sure as heck don't want to do it without some form of cruise control. But I need to balance spending over four hundred quid. :-/

These basic crude mechanical systems will probably suffice, but I can only find one company that sell them - Conrad Anderson.

For the electronic ones, we've Conrad Anderson, Howard May, Ultimate Design and Vehvac, and that appears to be it.

That can't be it, surely... Anybody got any more ideas? Other than a brick, of course...

Reply to
DervMan

Carnoisseur used to sell them (if they're still in business).

Reply to
LordyUK

I'll have a look, thanks!

Reply to
DervMan

Nail together something from another car...

Used a mk1 Rover Sterling (2.7 V6 auto) setup on the last 820 we had. =A320 worth altogether inc parts and wires/connectors/fixings etc.

Bracket to mount the cruise actuator. Bracket to mount the actuator cable on the throttle pedal. Few wires to tap into the speedo output/tacho etc and a couple fo switches.

Provided the (ka?) has an electronic speedo output and electric tach output (coil LT wire) you'll be able to fit the cruise from any old Rover to it. Would guess most cars of taht era (nice separate boxes of electronics, not some combined thing) could be adapted.

You'll find that it responds a bit slower on the Ka (used to having a V6 behind it) but will work okay.

Reply to
markocosic

i take it cruise control on a KA isn't even on the options list? my MR2 had it as an option (which like traction control hardly any of the jap suicide pilots had added) but the connector for it is there.

other than that my post doesn't really help one bit but hey who was stupid enough to think it would :)

Reply to
Vamp

Why ?

My new car has it, but I've never used it. You can't bumble along the motorway at a constant speed - what happens when you're going 0.5mph faster than the car to your left ? Clearly you can't sit in the outside lane for 5 minutes holding everyone up, whilst you pass him !

You already have cruise-control as standard anyway - it's called your right leg. And if you find the system uncomfortable to use, then you've bought the wrong car !

Hope that helps :)

Reply to
Nom

I joined the M6 at J44 last night and turned on cruise.

Apart from a couple of suspend/resume sessions for the roadworks, I turned it off when I reached my exit at J15. It also stayed on for 60+ miles of the next 70 till I got home.

I can categorically state that a 520 does 33.2mpg at a constant 85 :)

You're very unlikely to catch up with him.....

Reply to
Grant

Clearly you could bumble along at the same speed whilst overtaking for 5 minutes if you wanted to, quite clearly some people can and do.

If you're only traveling 0.5mph faster than the car you're overtaking, you quite simply haven't set the cruise high enough. (c;

Have you tried using cruise control on a long motorway journey? The system in my Clarton, once activated allowed you to accelerate from the speed you set it at, to any speed you liked with the pedal and when you took your foot off it would simply slow down and resume the set speed, you could also use the increase speed button to gently add a few mph. Braking or pressing cancel made you slow down, resume resumed the speed it was last set at.

I found it only made sense on a seriously long motorway journey with low-medium levels of traffic, but it did make sense, especially in a

14ft long automatic uberbarge.

Actually your left leg has to be attached in some way to your brain, its not much use on its own, better off with a brick in that case. With cruise control you have the extra brain processing capacity to judge whether or not you can undertake the numpty travelling in the outside lane 0.5mph faster than the car he is overtaking before you slam into the back of a truck.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In the Ka? Are you bloody mad?

Cruise isn't as useful in Italy as you may imagine, nor on the autobahn. You may just get away with it in France if set to 130kph. I don't know what bit of Italy you are going to, but your choices are:

In France to Lyon then turn off for the Frejus Tunnel. In France to Dijon then turn off towards Geneva then the Mont Bland tunnel. or France/Belgium/France/Germany/Switzerland/Italy.

The Frejus route is IMO one of the prettiest ways particularly if you want to see monasteries clinging to the tops of mountains.

If you let me know roughly where I'll divvy up some driving hints.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can, quite happily. Did Stansted to Guildford on cruise control last week and Winchester/Durham/Winchester a couple of weeks before that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed, I drove to Cardiff on Sunday in the limo, cruise set at 70 for about

80% of the way.

I very regularly drive from Liverpool to darkest Staffordshire on cruise at

75-80 in the Merc.
Reply to
Pete M

Stick a brick on the throttle pedal. VMax in a Ka will just about keep up with other traffic.

Reply to
SteveH

Nah, I've proved time and time again that a Ka at full welly is capable of an indicated 120 mph...

Reply to
Pete M

being towed surely?

Reply to
JohnR

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, JohnR decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Nah, just being driven very "enthusiastically".

Although the ones I got 120 indicated in had the newer engine than the Dervmobile

Reply to
Pete M

many moons ago i had a festa 1.1 pop plus that could indicate 110 with a suitable gradient and favourable weather conditions.

Reply to
JohnR

my dad has it on his Volvo S60 but he only uses it in 30mph limits and road works with speed camera's (normally the bloody A12) and that's only to avoid a ticket :)

Reply to
Vamp

is that why they called it a pop plus? because if you held that speed you'd of got a pop plus a big repair bill?

our old 1 litre AX i managed to get past the sound barrier with.... well ok i cracked about 105mph for a few miles :) it didn't sound to healthy when i pulled of the A12 onto a slip road and waited at a roundabout. tick over sounded funny and i could feel the heat from the lil 1 litre coming through the car haha.

my MR2 is good for cruising, barely have to touch the right pedal in 5th to keep it at a constant 70-80mph

Reply to
Vamp

well I say 110 - the dial went up to 100 and I could get the needle a good millimetre past the marker so I used to pretend it was reading 110.

Reply to
JohnR

Nice :)

In a Ka? :(

Why not buy a second hand Mercedes cruise unit, still attached to a W123 or ideally W124 of some description?

You could even get a lhd one...

Alistair J Murray