Got the shock of my life in traffic last night, as something went past.

Sittign in a traffic queue in Warrington, waiting to move, and two lanes of traffic going the other way, right turning traffic was solid as usual, so couldn't see the straight on traffic fully.

Then I heard this sort of off time lumpy burble with the un mistakeable slightly tinny rasp of stainless system. As it had just passed, I glanced back in my door mirror, thinking it might be a modded scoob that I would see in the gap between cars.

But nope, bugger me, it was a rally stickered Audi Coupe quattro Turbo, quite slow, moving slowly, with a moderate sized spoiler on the boot, and those loverly box flared arches. That 5 cylinder did sound good as he booted away as the traffic moved.

Made me want one again, even it would cost me another mortgage to keep it running tidy. But I guess I will keep splurging on the GT4 instead.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"Sleeker GT Phwoar" wrote

Nnnnice! When I lived in Macclesfield about a year ago, the local Audi dealership had an original one in the showroom. Audi were doing some kind of test-drive promotion for their Quattro cars at the time. I bet they'd not have let anyone out in that particular Quattro.

I think I saw it driving through Wilmslow this week. I did see an original Ford Mustang today though. YEEHAA!

Reply to
fishman

WOAHHH! Traffic actually *moving* in Warrington?!?! Are you sure?!?!

;)

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Like I said I was stopped waiting for the traffic to move on my side. Heading from Birchwood way just before the King and Queen pub.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I hardly know the town at all, only that it took me about 30 mins to get to PC World earlier, which is about 6 miles from here.

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Is it like one of plastic puzzles full of sliding squares and only one free space so you can only move one square at a time?

Reply to
Peter Hill

Try *half* a free space.... ;)

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

I'd suggest that the Audi would be costing you a lot less in niggly little bits that need fixing at this point....

Reply to
SteveH

You'd be surprised how cheap bits are from GSF, and how bullet proof a good quattro is...... you do seem to be spending rather a lot of cash on this GT4.

Reply to
SteveH

All I've spent so far (until my little splurge because the $ is great) is petrol, tax, insurance, a cleanable cone because why not, a dump valve because they didn't come with one, and I wanted it to go Pttsch (childish I know), and a full and thorough service kit (+ Lambda sensor (which was a 3rd the price of the plug leads) and thermostat), and a Samco intake because the rubber bellows on the old one had rotted and the Samco was cheaper than a Toyota one.

So far spent. £1700 on the car (ignore the day to day insurance, tax, petrol as that would always be payed for) Cone filter and adaptor £40 Dump valve £85 shipped from Malaysia Samco intake £90 posted Service parts (and the other bits) £220 Still need to source a new rear diff mount as the old rubber one is worn, but I'm waiting for an Austrian club member to get his next batch of solid mounts in from the machine shop, £30 cheaper than Toyota, garaunteed not to break or he replaces for postage costs even in rallying, stronger, not much noisier.

Thats all the car has needed, the rest has been bought because I wanted it, not because I needed it. The Whiteline suspension kit. The Gauges and pod. The Stut brace.

Told you, I like to play with cars, don't like standard things, so it will be (at least in my eyes) be improved, and that doesn't mean slapping on 3 ton of body plastics. it might get a decent set of wheels, and a few stickers (whether Jap style or rally livery, I don't know), but it will get the few little paint scrapes and parking dings straightend out, because the shell is absolutley rock solid. It's just a near 15 year old car that has aged well, and behaves well, despite, rather than because of my buggering about.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Your car mate - you do what the hell you like to it. Makes me wonder how much some of the custom bodykit/paintjob shitboxes are costing there owners and just what they could have for the same cash. Did you get those pods sorted? I had a quick scan on t'net but couldn't find anything useful.

Reply to
JohnR

Then someone forces the next piece, and it's all a broken jammed mess.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar