OT: VCD burning?

i know there's a few in here that know a thing or to about stuff other than cars :-P

anyway i have a mpg file that is 700mb and been trying to find a way of making it a bit smaller to make a VCD out of it? i'm guessing i'll probably have to re-encode it or something but so far found no way of doing it. i tried TMPGEnc or whatever it's called and the file came out bigger than the original when i thought i'd put down the quality!

is there any software about that can re-encode the file to fit an 80min cd and burn it too? burning aint import though i just need to get a 100mb or so off it to fit.

cheers :)

oh and i'm looking at a new HDD soon, any recomended makes? 160Gig i'm after

Reply to
Vamp

It will fit.

Some are 800mb and go on 700mb cds - dont sak how its complicated and has to do with the way files are stored and tables etc, but try burning as a vcd and it will be ok.

Reply to
Burgerman

TPMGEnc will do it, just reduce the bitrate. Or try DVDX, which is freeware, you can choose the size of file you want it to output. Failing that, try this site

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Western Digital one with 8mb Cache, YKIMS. The only drive i've ever had that hasn't grenaded itself after a year or so.

Reply to
Dan405

Hey ho Dan, watched "Sister Act" today, the scene where she washes the car made me think of you and your 405.

You still up for that meet in some hilly part of Yorkshire? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Havn't seen it for ages - so i'm not sure if you're rippin me there or not :) I would assume probly, and snap back with a tappet rattle/lack of bhp joke - but i can't be assed :)

But yea sure!

Reply to
Dan405

Err, no, all innocent - a nun washing a car. Made me wonder if they washed yours in Holy Water or something?

When? Next weekend? Nice and early? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Lets no go mental with the early ;)

Next weekend is ringing bells - i'll get back to you.

Reply to
Dan405

Read your motherboard manual and see if it will recognise a 160Gig first. It might only show it as a 120Gig.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Maxtor? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

that's what i was thinking of....

Reply to
Vamp

Nah, IME, they're s**te.

Get a Western Digital.

Reply to
Dan405

Maxtor (Quantum), WD, Seagate OK have some Seagate 40Mb AT/XT drives here still going OK even after being abused on a snatch plate. 20Gb

66Mhz WD ran hot and loud. 40Gb 100Mhz and 80Gb 133Mhz Maxtor's cool and quiet except when running a full AVG scan then the heads make a rattle.

IBM (now Hitachi - they honored the 3 year warranty on my mates 40Gb drive without hassle except postage would have gone 1/3 way to buying a new 80Mb drive), Fujitsu/Compaq (last place I worked at had a shelf with about 50 of these on it all dead), Rodime crap.

Peter Hill

Quantum Bigfoot. Absolutely rock solid reliable :P. The Seagate Barracuda I've had for a few years is quiet and hasn't broken.

Reply to
Doki

Samsung as they're quiet and run fairly cool.

Reply to
James Grabowski

lol the bigfoots are years old and were like 10Gig and as big as my car :-P

Seagate aren't that good IMO as we have them in almost everymachine at work and we have a cupboard of about 10-15 duff and bad sector jobbies

i'll keep thinking about it and may actually run the drive for a while before whacking good shit on it...

oh and still no luck with the VCD still :(

Reply to
Vamp

Western Digital Caviar with 8mb Cache in 160gb form.

YKIMS.

Reply to
Dan405

You don't need to.

Burn it as a VCD (Nero can do this) and it will fit just fine. It doesn't need a FileAllocationTable or anything, and it burns as a MODE2 disc, so you can get a fair bit more than 700MBs of video onto a VCD. Failing that, you can squeeze a bit more on by overburning the disc (Nero can do this too).

Doesn't matter what make - they ALL fail. I tend to use Seagate's as they're quieter than all the rest, but the Maxtor Maxline and Western Digital SE drives both come with 3-year warranties. Be sure to get a 7200rpm drive with 8MB cache, but don't go larger than 133GB unless you KNOW your Motherboard can take it - unless it's very recent, it can't.

offer very keen prices, and good service.

No work on today, so I'm being helpful :)

Reply to
Nom

oh we are Mr Helpful today hehe, cheers for the site, nice prices ;)

oh and the VCD thing i tried what you said with no luck, i had a look at the properties of the file and it's xvid, take it that's why :( looks like i'll have to try a proper conversion, i'll try tempgenc again

Reply to
Vamp

Yep.

If you're buring as a VCD or SVCD, it needs to be stock MPEG or MPEG2 respectively.

Yep, but you'll lose a heap of quality.

Why not just buy a few 90 minute CDs ?

do em forreasonable money, but they're sold out right now.

Reply to
Nom