[OTish] Importing a car from the US

Has anyone done it or from Canada (I know Vamp got his MR2 from Japan) but this week dollar makes some yank tanks look rather tempting (just over £15k for the new mustang V8). Not that I have enough just lying round to pop over and buy one.I'm guessing it's probably not that simple as people seem to be asking twice that.

Reply to
Depresion

err.. the dollar is trading at $1.77 to the pound, it was at its weakest $1.91 to the pound. sorry to disappoint but it's almost back to what it was.

I was lucky, I got a couple of guitars and an amp during the time.

There are a couple of importers advertiseing on ebay I think?

Reply to
REMUS

Have you seen what people are asking for them in the UK? I'm sure there must be quite a profit in it for them.

Reply to
Depresion

Well the car might be quite a bit cheaper there, but once you factor in the usual shitty charges such as VAT, shipping...etc (there might be more hidden/stealth tax's for cars). Then convert it so the car will run according to UK specification you might even be out of pocket compared to a UK purchase. And then there is the ball ache of European/US spec parts.

You could get their people on the otherside of the pond to do the paper work under the guise of being a 2nd hand car to try and avoid VAT? But I think you need to locate an importer before you do anything else tbh.

Reply to
REMUS

Homer

No it wasn't. It was just under $2 in February time. Also, about 3 years ago it was about $1.4 to $1.5, so current price is quite is still very good.

Reply to
T.

If you are just going to make things up then I suggest you shut up man, I moniter the $ to £ exchange rate at LEAST once every couple of days because I import alot of music gear.

Tradeing at $1.88 to the pound

Reply to
REMUS

Where does it say that on that page? Am i just being dense? That appears to be rates for the indian rupee...

Reply to
DanTXD

At its highest, 1.9292 dollars to quids, on March 8.

Reply to
DanTXD

P.s.

DanTXD

hehe no, that is a table of values for tradeing on the open market

132.70/70.58 = 1.88
Reply to
REMUS

That sounds about right, that figure probably doesn't factor in the pound of flesh that banks take for themselves when you purchase abroad.

Reply to
REMUS

Er, my bank takes 0%.

If you're paying conversion fees for foreign purchases, then you're an idiot and you forgot to get a Nationwide Credit Card

If you buy from the abroad, then go and get one right now to instantly begin saving ~2.5% per purchase.

Reply to
Nom