Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

Because you're an adult?

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

We're in a Car Modifications newsgroup - how many of us do you think are mature and responsible? Really? Except for SteveH :)

Reply to
Dan405

That's never stopped him before now.

-- James

Reply to
James

Just compare the maximum torques per engines specs, you'll see the extra torque is

Reply to
TE Cheah

Amazing. Where did you dyno it, and what where the numbers?

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

lol, don't talk such utter s**te.

Reply to
Lordy

Dunno if you missed it but this is the guy who goes on about all the power lost to the digital clock.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

Yeah, I know. And battery terminals made out of copper and not silver.

I can never remember what name he posts under.

:)

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

That's because your "buddy" is either a lying s**te or he didn't have HT leads / the old ones were buggered before he put the high efficiency ones on. Tell him to compare his "high efficiency" leads to a set from the Honda parts desk. Go and dyno the car and you will find no difference in power beyond normal dyno errors.

You can put a massive coil on the car, or put shedloads of coils on, but as long as your existing ignition system works, you won't gain any extra power. The only time you'll need to put a different ignition system on is when you're increasing the revs, so you need a spark more often, or you're altering the charge / plugs so that it's harder for the spark to jump the gap. You don't get any extra power to speak of on a modern normally aspirated engine without messing with the internals.

Anyway, everyone who knows anything knows the point of V-tec is to switch to a lairy cam at high engine speeds, so that you can have good low speed running and fuel economy when you're tootling around town, and then when you want to go fast you get some revs on, the hot cam comes on and you get more top end power. It's all about the revs (and thus power) in a V-tec motor rather than providing torque. If they were about torque they'd be 4 litre motors instead of 2.

Reply to
Doki

Amazing, really. There's Honda spending, well, must be into the billions on R&D to squeeze out maybe 1% extra torque here, or a few more bhp there, and all the time all they had to do was put phat leads on to get a fifth more grunt.

Next, they'll add the magic air filter and double the power output.

Reply to
antispam

Oh god yer right. I remember him explaining why it was theoretically impossible for a Honda ignition system to operate beyond 3000 rpm.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Dont forget the magnet to align the fuel molecules.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

correction : Mercedes C200K 's super charger gives 21% extra torque.

| Where did you dyno it No need to use elaborate equipment to estimate %age torque rise ; Newton's law says acceleration (m/s²) = force ( N ) ÷ mass (kg), I modify this to = ( force - friction / resistance ) ÷ mass. If acceleration ( esp when climbing hill / slope ) rises by 15%, mass & friction remain constant, then torque must have risen by nearly 15%.

Reply to
TE Cheah

| you will find no difference in power beyond normal dyno errors. Honda prescribes plug gaps of just 1 to 1.1mm, because [i] the built-in coil is small [ii] the Sumitomo carbon-core cables ( 6323 ohm/ft )' efficiency is low

. My plugs ( fed by these hi-eff cables, 2 ohm/ft, in a F20A )' gaps are 3mm , to get a 3mm long spark to burn petrol vapour fstr = more torque. This must not be done on any 4 cylinder engine with just a small built-in coil & plain carbon-core cables ; a 1mm gap needs just 4.46kv, but a 3mm gap needs 12kv to produce a spark. My hi-eff cables can feed enough voltage & ampere to my 3mm gaps with out any fst drop in torque, or noise rise, up to 3350rpm ( no chance / need to spin fstr ; legal speed limit = 110kph ). Skeptics can set their gaps to 3mm, then feel how fst torque drops & hear how fst exhaust noise rises, @>3000rpm, because voltage & ampere across gaps will both be too low, engine will likely stall by 4500rpm.

| You don't get any extra power to speak of on a modern normally | aspirated engine without messing with the internals. Bullshit. My brother's '94 Mitsubishi 6G72 engine's coil got a 1' long hi- eff cable ( fr me ) to feed high voltage to distributor cap's 6 carbon-core cables, the # of ohms reduced was just 2890, yet acceleration ( & torque ) rose by 10% ( he estimated ). In '94 a similar change I did to a '89 Nissan sentra's 1' long coil-cable reduced # of ohms by 6000, torque rose 10-15% per the chauffer who drove it daily.

| It's all about the revs (and thus power) in a V-tec motor | rather than providing torque. On roads with speed limit, an engine with auto gearbox have no chance to spin @>3500rpm, so torque is relevant, power is not.

Reply to
TE Cheah

carbon-core

That's the biggest load of tosh I've ever read in my life !

The manufacturer of your car ALREADY fits plugs with the correct gapping, and leads that are more-than upto the job - why on earth would they do otherwise ?!?!?

Reply to
Nom

"Magnecor does not claim its Race Wires increase horsepower, and any horsepower gained by the use of Magnecor Race Wires results entirely from the ability of the wires to maintain full conductance and suppress EMI that previously robbed the engine of horsepower"

From their own website!

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Amazing how clueless you guys are, you mean. The VTEC allows the engine to make good torque at higher RPM's, and power=torque*RPM, thus the noticable POWER increase. Also, the fact that they can spin the motor faster allows a shorter gear ratio, which puts more TORQUE at the WHEELS.

Reply to
dizzy

What does that have to do with bullshit power claims from HT leads?

Reply to
Dan405

What all this verbal diarrhea boils down to is; if the car accelerates faster, the power must have increased. Of course he thinks he is being clever by saying torque increased instead of power when, for a given engine speed, they are directly related.

Hey Cheah Pet. You want torque? How about an engine that produces

1000ft-lb at 50 rpm? How fast do you think that will go up Pikes Peak? Did I mention it redlines at 50 rpm. Have fun.
Reply to
Gordon McGrew

That's why we gap the plugs correctly. As for getting more torque this way, I can't imagine it would be enough to justify screwing up your engine.

Well, I estimate it dropped by 10% so averaging them together you get no change in performance.

Another subjective guess - from a Nissan Sentra chauffeur this time. How much faster will it get when you disconnect the clock?

Sorry you don't have any good roads around there. I live in Chicago and manage to use all 8000 rpm on my GS-R fairly often. Certainly get it well over 3500 every time I drive it. Auto gearbox shouldn't make much difference.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew