Veg oil conversion

Hi

Am thinking of converting my Ford Mondeo 1996 1.8 turbo diesel to run on Veg oil.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and what kit I should get. Also is there anyone in the Bristol area that does conversions?

Any feedback good or bad gratefully recieved.

Also does anyone know if there are any implications for MOT/servicing/ insurance etc?

Cheers

Anthony

Reply to
whittaker_anthony

Haven't used them yet but this looks like a decent conversion,

it's a modification so you should tell your insurance company to be safe.

Reply to
Homer

Don't know the exact intricacies of a modernish ford, but genrally, when you don't do full biodiesel conversion on the fuel, you need to either mix straight veg oil with regular diesel, or run a two tank system with a heater for the veg oil.

You will need to change the diesel filter after the first roughly 1000 miles as the veg oil will pull all the crap through from the tank and flush everything through.

more info here.

Elder

I know FA about your Ford, however I suspect it is old enough to just use upto a maximum 50/50 diesel mix, if you use old oil make sure you filter it and don't go as high as 50/50 as it will stink.

As the cold weather is approaching you will need a heater as the veg oil will freeze, expect it to be more difficult to start.

Reply to
Geoff

Talking of veg oil related stuff - a mate of mine told me the other day that they're introducing a scheme where anyone using biofuels won't have to pay duty on the first 2500 litres of the stuff they use each year. That's

27,496.7 miles a year for a small diesel runabout that's getting 50mpg. Don't know the ins and outs of it, but handy for people running on veg oil. Saves the government the costly excercise of chasing after people running their cars on the stuff and not declaring it, I guess.....

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Since when has the size of a problem had any influence on legislation? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G