Vista

It's all to do with luck.

I've dropped my iPhone a few times. But one of those times it landed in a way which broke the screen.

I dropped my Thinkpad a lot, never broke it, but colleagues dropped theirs in similar situations and broke them.

Reply to
SteveH

Atoms rock.

That's a 2008 server, running an Atom, hosting about 40 mailboxes (nothing strenuous), serving media and files in 35w of electricity.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And slow, and ugly, and with tiny screens and keyboards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Err yes... except that none of those manufacturers has a laptop weighing

1.36kg and less than 2cm thick.

The Lenovo X61 eighs nearly 2Kg is twice as thick as the Air and has a tiny 12in screen and it's slow and fugly.

The Sony TZ150n is slow, fat and fugly with an 11in screen and a 1.1GHz Core2 processor but it does have an optical drive.

The Fujitsu Q2010 is slow, fat and fugly with a 12 in screen and a

1.2GHz Core Solo procesor it doesn't have a built in optical drive.

Still keep going you're going to get it right some time. perhaps.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They're a great platform, but they can get really sluggish in daily use.

Some of my VB spreadsheets are a real PITA to use.

Reply to
SteveH

Apple 1.36 kg, Tosh 0.773kg. Heavier?

And if you compare the lower models it's not as big a gap. Apple have identified a unique market for a machine with minimal IO, minimal comms and a thin edge that makes it look and feel smaller than it is. Toshiba and Sony realise that there's a market for a premium product with all the features. The tosh is £68 dearer than the Apple if you get it without the optical drive, and is smaller in every dimension, and has more ram, and only gives away on the CPU speed.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

There's not an apple that slow and with that little memory either. You're talking about single core Atom based shit running at creaking clock speeds.

Speccing a Core2 duo SFF PC to the same spec as a Mini results in (quelle surprise) a larger box and a higher price.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A 17" MBP isn't a run of the mill "portable device". FWIW, the only Sony VAIO that I've had self-destructed when the screen simply came off in my hand. No need to drop it, it was simply shit with hinges made of tinfoil.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hardly.

Reply to
Conor

The simple fact that each new point increment is sold as a new OS and in order to move from, say 10.4 to 10.5, you've got to buy it.

Reply to
Conor

Says the man whose OS is only just going to be introducing 64bit with

32bit compatibility just the same as XP64 has had for over half a decade.
Reply to
Conor

Just like moving from 2k to XP to Vista to 7, then.....

Which is the only valid comparison.

Reply to
SteveH

There speaks someone who has no clue.

Reply to
Conor

I don't know why where I've never found it priced that high.

You need to be able to do that to be able to run the OS X email client.

Only Apple could find it an achievement to reduce the size of an email client from 300MB to 100MB.

Reply to
Conor

At 300MB for an email client, it wants to be.

Reply to
Conor

Aside from experience of using both systems, and knowing that .x updates of OSX aren't 'service packs', which is essentially what the (free) .5.x updates are.

Vista is less stable and no more functional than XP.

Which is why, given the choice, I'm running XP on my VMware install and netbook.

Reply to
SteveH

Must be imagining running all my 32bit software on x64.

Learn something. Even Win2k has it.

Find me some.

You need 4TB to open an email client and a web browser at the same time.

Win2k onwards.

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. It's a lot like Windows Media Player.

Reply to
Conor

No, we just think it's funny. The last laptop I had with one USB port was a Pentium 3 Dell C600.

Reply to
Conor

UAC = User Account Control

Reply to