Zetec 2.0L vs. Duratec 2.0/2.3L Motor Weight

Would anyone know the approximate weights of these motors relative to each other? I've been told the Duratec is ~35Kg lighter than the Zetec of the same displacement.

Reply to
mechanized_robot

I've got the actual figures somewhere but can't find them ATM but the Duratec is the lighter engine, the Duratec has an alloy block and lots of light weight components and the Zetec has an iron block. If you're doing an engine transplant into anything then the Duratec is the engine to choose, as well as being lighter it's much more tuneable than the old Zetec.

Reply to
Homer

Thank you for the reply!

Reply to
mechanized_robot

Do remember though that it doesn't fit the age old Ford bolt pattern for the gearbox - like the zetec does. You definitely will need a bellhousing.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Shit. WAs contemplating one for the Capri.

Reply to
Conor

What's the problem? For a minor inconvenience of a new bellhousing you get a vastly superior engine to the Zetec. TBH if I was looking for a change of engine in a Capri I'd be getting a LS1.

Reply to
Homer

Is it worth the hassle, though? I mean, you've already got more than

116bhp on tap in your 1600 capri auto and can hit 120mph ;)
Reply to
Madge O'Reene