03 gas milage

I've had my car since Jan. 03, it has 5300 miles. I have been reading reports here of 20 plus MPG. I did a milage check and calculation last week; I am getting 13.1 MPG. My driving is 80/20 city/highway. It has a 5 speed, I usually shift it between 2500 and 3000 RPM. As you all know, this is a fun car to drive fast so I don't baby it. Is something wrong with my car? I could tell after the first tank of gas that it wasn't getting any 20 MPG - this thing sucks gas just like V-8's always have.

03 GT Coupe Black,MagnaPack CatBack,MM CC Plates,MM Full-Length SFC,MM LCA,MM STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs
Reply to
Michael Martens

That's what I get too.

Reply to
Gill

I'd have to sell my '98 GT if I got mileage that poor. I normally get 27+ mpg, and I always have since it was new. Now, if I really, REALLY romp on it, it will drop into the 23-24 range, but I have to really beat the piss out of it for hundreds of miles to eat THAT much fuel.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

Shift below 2000 rpm to get the best gas mileage, and don't be a lead foot off of every light. I'm getting better than that in the Cobra, and it's not broken in yet! I averaged 17-19 in my 2000 GT mixed, with the lowest being just over 15 and the best was a low 26 on the highway under non-optimum conditions.

Reply to
Mike King

STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

That's pretty high consumption. I've measured my 2001 GT and it gets 18mpg combined city/highway. My car is an auto, but the driving 'style' varies alot, so shift points can be between 2000-3500 rpms. However, on a long highway trip averaging about 70mph, the car gets around 23mpg.

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

Wow, 13 mpg? On my 2002 GT I have gotten on average 19 and I don't baby it at all. I can't believe you could only get 13. I get 25 on the highway.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Are you using RFG - reformulated gasoline - with MTBE?

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Hmmm.... I can recall way back in 1988 when I bought a brand new LX 5.0. My loving bride (who drove it more than I) always - ALWAYS... averaged 25 ish to 28ish miles per Canajun gallon. That car was some stupid... best it would ever do for me was maybe 8....

LCA,MM STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, 13 MPG may not be too far off if indeed you are doing 80% "city" driving, shifting at 3,000 rpm. If you are shifting that high, this means you are taking off pretty fast with a heavy foot (either that or you're just shifting too late). If you are driving 80% of the time going from stop light to stop light with a heavy foot shifting at 3,000 rpm, 13 MPG may not be that unusual. By contrast, those here who claim to get an average of 18 or 20 MPG are most likely doing at least 50% to 80% "highway" type driving with way less stop and go, shifting early, using a lighter foot. This will make a big difference. Those who claim 28 MPG must either be doing almost all highway driving in ideal conditions, or drive VERY efficiently, with a super gentle foot and shifting way early. Or, another possibility is that most of these MPG claims here are just simply inaccurate. It's like a friend of mine with a 500 cube 5,000 pound Cadillac who claimed to get 30 MPG after installing a water injection.... uh, I don't think so!!! His calculations were either very inaccurate, or he was just being way too optimistic and exaggerating... this is not too uncommon. But, finally, driving style and conditions will vary greatly and have a big effect on MPG. Next time you take your car on a highway trip of several hundred miles or so, try to drive conservatively and do an accurate measurement of MPG... chances are you'll get way better than 13 MPG.... unless you have a leak in your fuel tank.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LCA,MM STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Rein

i have been keeping accurate gas records since i bought my 03 cobra in may

03

overall average = 13.9 miles per gallon - i drive mostly city

on long highway trips, where i am in sixth, it gets 22

no wonder why i am "po"!!!! only premium and gas is relativley expensive nowadays =(

this car is tuned very rich from the factory, on the dyno it goes to 10:1 at

4500 rpms

LCA,MM STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Reply to
Christopher Shea

STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Is it true a Vette gets considerably better mileage, despite the huge horsepower advantage? I guess it's due to the Vette's 400lb light weight?

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

it's mainly due to the 6th gear which is a big overdrive. cruising at

75 >>

STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Rein

Thanks for all the response. I have been practicing shifting at or before 2000 RPM; have been working on it a few days now and I have decided that I would rather get 13 MPG than drive the car that way. Shifting that low gives me the acceleration of a garbage truck.

03 GT Coupe Black,MagnaPack CatBack,MM CC Plates,MM Full-Length SFC,MM LCA,MM STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs
Reply to
Michael Martens

Now that is the correct answer! If you can't drive around with your hair on fire, you might as well be driving Kia. You just can't put a price on having fun...

Reply to
Mustang_66

3 reasons:

  1. 6th gear. You're right this probably is the biggest factor.

  2. Weight

  1. Aerodynamics (lower drag coefficent)

LCA,MM STB,MM KFB,H&R SS,Bilsteins,Pro 5.0,MGW Knobs

Reply to
wrestleantares

In Reno you can!

$85-150 / hour!