Pine sap - argh!

I have a beautiful tall pine tree that overhangs the driveway. Unfortunately, that means billowing clouds of pollen in the spring and pine sap dripping from May through August.

I've just taken all of the drips off of the paint and glass on both Mustangs, but I'm not sure what to do for the cloth convertible top. It's not a good look, but I don't think I want to use the fingernail polish remover on the cloth (works like a charm on the paint, though). Is there anything I can do for the top, other than a lot of scrubbing with a soft floor brush and mild Ivory Snow solution?

And that pine tree's got to go. Jean wants it gone, because it's so close to the house, but I want it gone so I don't have to do my annual sap removal...

dwight

dwight

Just don't replace it with crap myrtles....

Reply to
WindsorFo

put a metal roof over it, they are cheap.

Reply to
bob

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant - a garage would solve the problem and the tree could stay.

Shelby_1

Reply to
John Verdi

I have plenty of pines, but only one driveway. Two-car garage - Jean gets one bay for her Escape, and I get the other for one of my two Mustangs. That puts one outside with my daughter's car. Hers is also covered with pine drippings, but neither one of us cares enough about that '99 Mystique to do anything about it. :()

The tree is about 10 feet off of the corner of the house, and my wife has been worried about it since the day we moved in. I've been defending the tree's right to exist, but it repays me by sapping up my cars and dropping pine cones like so many turds on my driveway. Now that we've decided that TFrog finally gets its overdue paint job in the Spring, it's time for the tree to go.

My only questions now are what to use on the pine sap on the cloth convertible top and what kind of plantings to use where the pine tree used to be.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Turpentine should get the sap off and then whatever you would use as car wash to remove leftover turpentine. A river birch is pretty innocuous, don't get huge, don't fall apart and don't drop a lot of stuff other than some bark that you could use for Christmas cards.

Reply to
WindsorFo

On Sep 7, 6:12 am, "dwight" wrote: ...

I would attempt a two stage approach: put some drops of oil (food grade, not engine oil, I would use olive oil) and rub; I would then remove the oil/sap using dish soap. The theory behind this is that the oil would dilute the sap, and the dish soap being good at removing oily substances would clean up the mess. I successfully use this to remove stickers from CD jewel cases, but before applying this technique to cloth I would attempt it first on a non conspicuous portion. I don't think neither component is harmful to the cloth, but you never know.

Paolo

Reply to
bellutta

I wonder about using Spray 'n' Wash. It relies on enzymes to eat the organic stuff in stains. Probably release the stickum in pine sap as it does in decals and such. Harmless to fabrics, I bet.

Reply to
Frank ess

A great product for any sticky, gummy mess is called "Goo Gone". It is available at most supermarkets/WalMart. It is an orange gel that tends to stay where you spray it.

Reply to
John Verdi