Steering rack and suspension bolt sizes

Hey Guys,

My parents got me a nice gift certificate to Sears for my 21st birthday. I was planning on picking some good socket sets... I am getting ready to replace my steering rack and do shocks/springs all the way around. Anyone know offhand what size bolts I'm looking at? I want to make sure I buy the proper size sockets of course.

This is an 88 GT Convertible.

Regards, Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

You buy a set of Metrics, of course. But there are usually skips, have to buy them separate.. dont remember which, And guess what... you'll need them for suspension work! Just make sure you have everything from 10 to 21, at the least. 5.5 to 14 in

1/4 and 3/8. 12 to 21 in 1/2 inch.

And a "breaker" handle in 1/2 inch.

Six point, both standard and deep. Go for deep over standard if you have to pick

Then a 12 point 12mm std for the driveshaft.

THen oyu need combination wrenches as well.

That's a start.

Andy Budwill opined in news:2VxDb.10779$a44.3824@okepread04:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

From a mechanics point of view what is 'standard' to buy next after all the sockets and wrenches?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Just to add to that; since your doing a rack with hydraulic lines, get some proper line wrenches. They will save you a lot of grief. Craftsman are pretty decent ones.

The scary thing with tools is once you buy some and start working on cars you are constantly looking to get more, once you start getting into more systems that need other more specialized tools and you see the limitations of the ones you have. I love it!......StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Tell me about it...

I did an engine swap this summer and borrowed one of those Craftsmen 'Mechanic Toolsets' from a friend. I really didn't think it was very complete but it proved to have everything I needed for the swap. Now I want my own tools, good ones, lots of them!

The reason I am replacing my rack is because its leaking everywhere! I replaced power steering pressure hose once and it was a nightmare to get it unbolted from the rack... The flaming river rack I am going to put in is the quick ratio manual rack :) No more power steering leaks for me.......

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

I would add that the new Craftsman sockets with the size lasered on in big print are the only way to go!

And don't expect to get everything in a set or at once. Mechanics tools are somthing that evolves with the work you do. There's always something you don't have.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Andy Budwill opined in news:VpODb.10820$a44.1296@okepread04:

And you'll buff up those arms, as well!

If this's a daily driver and you do any city driving, come back in a few months and report on whenther you wish you had PS back.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It will be interesting... This is my daily driver in town. I have read other guys on corral and such that have used the flaming river quick ratio unit on their city daily driven vehicle and they its not so bad.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill