1998 DOHC Quest?

I thought I remembered that when I bought my 1998 Quest GXE that it was listed on the window sticker as having a DOHC, 4-valve-per-cylinder,

3.0L V-6. It definitely has two cam shafts visible throught the oil filler. Mitchell refers to a DOHC version of the van in that year, but evidently no one else knows about it. It looks like the common SOHC engine has a timing belt, but the DOHC has a chain. The van now has 110k miles on it. What is the recommended life of the timing chain on these vehicles, and what is a good source for them (local auto parts stores only list parts for the SOHC)? Thanks for any assistance.
Reply to
JJR2

Are you sure you have two camshafts per bank (four total)? I can't find any references to Nissan offering the DOHC engine in a Quest before

2004. The only engine I see listed for 1998 is the 24 valve 3.0L SOHC engine. The Owners Gudie for a 1998 Quest (available from
)only addresses the SOHC engine (VG30E). The maintanence schedule callsfor timing belt replacement every 105,000 miles. Ed
Reply to
Ed White

Wow, Must be the VQ30DE V6 motor you have in there. Nice. Check your manual to see if there are any references to the VQ30DE motor. Same as in all Maximas 1995-1999.

Timing chains do not need to be changed/serviced. They either keep working forever if you keep up your regular oil changes, or sometime a tensioner gets weak for some minor (but major because of location) maintenance.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Actually , thinking abiout it a bit more, it could be the DOHC from the Inifiniti J30.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Yes, there are definitely four camshafts in there. There is actually an entry for a DOHC for 1998 in Mitchell, but I don't see it anywhere else.

Reply to
JJR2

The emission sticker on the hood says VG30E. I will have to find my original manual.

Reply to
JJR2

I think the Quests were built on beefed-up Maxima chassis, so it might make sense for some of them to get the better Maxima engines.

Reply to
JJR2

That is the SOHC engine. Since this vintage Quest was assembled at a Ford plant it seems very unlikely to me that they could have accidentally installed the DOHC engine by mistake. And you implied you have owned it since new. So I am at a loss to understand what is going on. Nothing I can find addmits that there was more than one engine type in that vintage Quest.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

It looks like it's the DOHC V6 from the J30 and the non-turbo 300ZX, the VG30DE. Fresh Alloy is goos source for Nissan enthusiasts;

codifus

The J30 engine has a timing belt.

Reply to
E Meyer

Engine swap? Nope, he bought it new, or at least saw the window sticker.

Besides peeking in the oil filler, what else is there to check? Engine serial number?

What country?

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Unfortunately, the reply I got offline was right. The shafts I see are valve pivot rods. The front cover, on closer inspection, is black plastic, molded to fit a single cam wheel on each side. Now I have to figure out why I got the idea that I was buying a DOHC 24-valve originally.

Reply to
JJR2