2000 I30 Power Windows

Both front power windows were a little slow going up on my 2000 I30. They also made a screeching noise while going up or down - felt like the glass rubbing againg the rubber. I decided to put some WD-40 in the side grooves and that seemed to fix the problem. However, after about a day it came back and kept coming back after several application of WD-40. What should I do? Any other lubricant I should use?

Reply to
Steve B.

Bad move, silicone is what you use to lubricate rubber.

Stop putting a petroleum based dispersant product on rubber. Actually WD-40 isn't a lubricant or a penetrate, it's a water dispersant that people like to spray on anything thinking it's a lubricant, it isn't. In most cases it washes out any real lubrication that was there and accelerates wear. In your case it -may- have permanently damaged the rubber, causing it to swell and pinch the glass between the rubber channels.

My advice? -Never- in the future use WD-40 on a car for any reason except to displace water in say, a distributor, the purpose it was designed for. On a modern car there is no good use for it.

Reply to
Steve T

What Steve says... you can use a silicone spray though.

Reply to
JimV