'87 Hardbody- seeping transmission

Hi, I need some advice re: the 5-speed manual transmission on my '87 King Cab 2wd pickup. It seems like there is some transmission fluid perpetually seeping from the transmission. Since I last wiped the transmission clean when I replaced the rear transmission seal (it was leaking a bit), I notice that trans. fluid seems to be leaking from around the area where the gear shift lever is, near the top of the housing. From looking in the repair manual, I see that there is a gasket around the plate for the shifter, and a rubber washer on the shifter itself.

My questions --

- is this a common place for the transmission to leak?

- can I replace the gasket and/or the rubber washer at the shifter from inside the truck, without having to remove the transmission? ie., is the hole in the floor of the truck big enough to get at the bolts?

-when I remove the shift lever, is there anything I should watch out for, eg. the transmission should be in a particular gear before I pull it out, and nothing is going to go "sproing!"

Thanks for any tips.

Reply to
Anonymous

Well I'll try to help, but it's been a while since I worked on one similar to yours.

When I was in the shop it was a pretty regular thing for me (as I was the quickest at replacing them) to replace the rubber shifter bootie on the top of the manual transmissions on the pickups.

The proper way (meaning not cutting the carpet or tearing the mat) is to remove the front seat (or seats if they're buckets), the shifter knob (it unscrews) and remove the door sill protectors so that you can lift up the front floor covering (carpet or mat) and remove the bolts that hold the main shifter boot assembly to the vehicle. Once you have that assembly out of the way, you will see the torn black bootie that covers/seals the shifter where it enters the top of the tranny. That's the bootie you need to replace. If memory serves me correctly, the bootie is tie strapped where it slips into place on the tranny. Don't forget to use a new tie strap. Simply remove the old bootie with a utility knife and to aid in installation of the new bootie (it simply slides down around the shifter) use some white lithium grease or something similar on the shifter rod. Then once the bootie is in place, simply wipe all the grease off. And don't forget to check the fluid level in the tranny once you're done. You may have seeped out more than you though or perhaps received an intake of some splashed water.

Good luck,

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Thanks for the great advice! I'll order the boot from the dealer on Monday.

Reply to
Anonymous