Bad install? 'Singing' noise after axles replaced

I paid a mechanic to install replacement axles I bought for my 93 Sentra. On the driver's side now, you can hear a small "whistle" or singing noise. It comes and goes, but I worry that he didn't follow spec and there will be a problem.

And it isn't bcz the car is happy, no. : ) I just want to know what might cause this noise.

Thanks, JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

A whistling sound tends to imply air moving rapidly through a small opening. One possible cause might be that one of the plastic panels that surround the wheel well is not secured tightly someplace. These panels often employ plastic anchors and plastic screws that thread into the anchors. These fasteners are fragile and often are not reusable. If one or more broke and replacements were not available, a plastic panel might be a bit loose somewhere resulting in a slight opening through which air could rush when the vehicle is traveling fast enough. The metal spash shield behind the brake caliper is a possibility too as these often get bent during such a job. In that case, though, a scraping sound usually results. You might try jacking both front wheels off the ground, put the car on good jack stands and run the engine with the transmission in gear to cause the wheels to turn. If there is no whistling at any speed, that pretty strongly implies an air flow problem. It also implies that it is not a mechanical problem and hence nothing serious. Good luck. Al

Thanks, Al for your explanation.

The repair seems to have uncovered or created a variety of noises that I didn't hear before. The noise is like that made by rotating parts in want of oil, maybe, or the water pump. I thought it was more a high 'singing' noise than a whistle. I'm pretty sure it isn't air.

The jackstand experiment could work and is worth a try.

Reply to
DemoDisk

It seems your mechanic forgot to grease the oil seals and the surface on the axles where the seals make contact. Failure to lubricate the seals will lead to premature seal failure and to a GROOVE on the axle!!!

Good luck!

DemoDisk wrote:

Reply to
AS

grease?

applications where

resistance to

Good information -- thanks, Andrew

Reply to
DemoDisk

GP, by the way is "general purpose" a designation used by the military and corresponds to what most know as "axle grease," but there are SAE numeric designations that you will find in service manuals.

I used graphite grease on barrels and springs of the 40 mm Bofors; it is just about the hardest stuff in NATO to get out of one's clothing. Lithium grease smells fragrant, almost edible. Don't.

-- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLAIDUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

Same here...my mechanic and I went road testing...he asked me if I have a roof rack on top... YUP! Suggested I cap the tubes that form the removeable roof rack...crutch tips dfixed it....no more sounds! Hope your's is that simple!

Thanks, Mikie. No, this noise -- and *what a noise* is treated by this thread at NissanForums.com. The OP describes the same symptoms pretty much. I don't know if it's dangerous, but it's sure embarassing!

JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

Same here...my mechanic and I went road testing...he asked me if I have a roof rack on top... YUP! Suggested I cap the tubes that form the removeable roof rack...crutch tips dfixed it....no more sounds! Hope your's is that simple!

Oops, forgot to add the link, sorry!

Thanks, Mikie. No, this noise -- and *what a noise* is treated by this thread at NissanForums.com.

The OP describes the same symptoms pretty much. I don't know if it's dangerous, but it's sure embarassing!

JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

The wrong grease I used was Aeroshell No. 2 grease. I used it in the transfer case oil seals for the fron and rear propeller shafts flanges, in a Nissan Patrol. After a week or two, the squeal was embarrassing, When I took removed the flanges, I saw that the grease was completely dry and that the oil seals had made grooves on the flanges.

I have used Kendall high temp No. 2 grease (blue) with excellent results so far.

Good luck!

DemoDisk wrote:

Reply to
AS