2000 engine misfire

Hi Group - I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, 120000 miles, automatic with check engine lite on - per autozone error code is P1320 and P0306. misfire on cylinder #6.

Question #1 - should I replace all 6 or just this one? anyone recommend a good source for parts?

Question #2 - is there reference or DIY page for changing the coils on the web somewhere ?

Thanks

Reply to
Bob

Coils are easy to replace yourself - try Courtesy Nissan (TX) for parts

-

They have great services, and OEM parts at wholesale prices - so they'll be 20-30% cheaper than your local Nissan dealer prices.

The early 2ks had "short lived" coils - and the general practice has been to replace all 6. I'm not sure if yours falls into that category, but with 120k on the odo, I would recommend replacing all 6. You can buy all 6 for about $350 - and replacement is definitely a DIY thing for the even slightly mechanically inclined. Have you replaced the plugs on this car yet? If you did, then you already know how to take out the coils...

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Thanks for info.. at 60,000 had more $$ than time. had dealer do spark plug change. now, have more time than $$, gonna do myself. so am looking for information on R & R coils. thanks.

Reply to
Bob

Here is a link that covers the procedure for the 02-03 Maximas (with the 3.5VQ). Your fronts are the same and the rears are easier.

's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/SparkPlugReplacement.htm For your case, 1. there is no engine cover to remove :), 2. the rears can be accessed directly - you don't have to move the plenum out of the way.

Off the top of my head.

  1. Disconnect negative battery terminal

FRONTS:

  1. Remove the Nissan plastic plate over the front valve cover - uses hex head bolts.
  2. Now you'll see the 3 coil packs and harness connectors.
  3. Undo harnesses and undo each coil pack (2 screws) and pull coilpack firmly upwards - they'll pop out - plugs are under there - replace like any other plugs.

REAR:

  1. There is no cover over the coil packs, but if you look between the passages of the plenum towards the firewall you'll see 3 more connectors to the rear coil packs.
  2. Undo those connectors and undo each coil pack (2 screws). IIRC the rear right coil pack (when facing the car) has a bracket in the way that you'll have to undo first...guides the throttle table or something of that sort.
  3. Be careful undoing the rear coilpack screws - easy to drop :)

Good luck! If you decide to do the plugs at the same time, stick with the NGK platinums (OEM) - you can get those from Courtesy Nissan as well.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Hi Nirav -

Thanks for the Info. It was a breeze to do. I got the parts from Courtesy Nissan, they shipped promptly.

The only issue I had was learning how to disconnect the electrical connector. Was unable to find that procedure anywhere online. But now I know.. just push the green piece down till it locks....

Is there a way to check each ignition coil to verify whether it is bad or good?

Thanks again.. I certainly appreciate it.

Reply to
Bob