95 maxima driveaxle replacment

Reading over my haynes it leads me to belive thet the passenger side drive axle would be pretty simple to replace

What a are things i shoudl look out for wile replacing the axle?

Is there any advantage in installign both axels at the same time?

Should thei jobe be left to a pro?

thank you verry much for your time

Reply to
Clayton Swikert

I did this job on my 91 GXE with 5 speed so not sure how similar they would be. I remember it being pretty straight forward. I did both axles at once since I did lose some tranny fluid and only wanted to be under the car once. I used a haynes manual and it was pretty decent. IIRC, you will need a 36mm socket to get the spindle nut off. I borrowed one from AZ. You will also need a pretty decent prybar and bfh to get the axles popped out of the transmission. My max has 190k so they were in there pretty good. All in all, I think it took me about 4 hours to do and it really wasn't that difficult.

HTH,

Derek

Reply to
genius

It can be done at home. Look here:

for a write-up. No need to replace both at one time. Check the tie-rods/ball-joint for excessive play/torn boots while you are in there. Make sure you replace the axle seals too.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I've done it 3 times, 2 to my Max and 1 to my wife's Altima. The problem on my Max with the passenger side axle was that I could not separate the axle from the support bearing bracket. No matter what I did it just wouldn't come lose. Since I was only replacing the boot, and not the whole axle, I ended up doing it with the inner joint and the shaft of the axle still on the car.

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

...separate the axle from the support bearing bracket. No matter what I did it just wouldn't come lose. ... Can be a nightmare if support is stuck. On some its possible to give it a hit "through the box" from drivers side (after axle out). Start giving some penetratin CRC or whatever on the support days before the job. Chiltons comic book, uh? Accurate info if u clic through top left "Favorite Links", clic below.

Reply to
Wiikinki