Boot lock/catch problem

All,

I have a 2002 406 that has a damaged boot lock. It was damaged by a felon who thought he could pop the boot catch by giving the boot a thump to the left of the lock. Little did he know that I had had the mod done to prevent this. But, I can no longer open the boot, either with the key or central locking. The plunger depresses but does not release the catch.

I managed to get into the boot by putting my arm through the catflap between the rear seats, releasing the seat catches and climbing in that way. I found a small removeable panel covering the lock mechanism, this exposes two bolts that seem to hold the lock in place.

Can anyone give advice on how to proceed? I will also need to tap the bodywork back into place as the peugeot logo covering the lock, and the lock itself, are bent over into the dent. If anyone has advice on this also I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Can't help with your problem I am afraid, but as a fellow 406 owner (1999), and not being aware of the boot popping, details of the required mod would be of great interest.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Keith,

First point - I've fixed it!! I used a normal domestic sink plunger to suck the dent out, this obviously realigned the mechanics. Had to use the key first of all, rather than the fob. Makes me sick that I spent all that time cramped up in the boot.

Second point - There was a recall of a certain date range of 406s because of a defect in the boot lock. This was reported by the French two months before the UK did anything about it. Peugeots take on it was that they would not be liable for any compensation claims as the miscreants had found a way "to bypass the security system". I had my car done over, twice, the second time my dealer acknowledged there was a fix which takes about 15 mins to carry out. If your car is around 2002 then I would phone your dealer. The mod is free.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

I'm glad you fixed it, although unnecessarily crawling in the boot is a pain. Mine is a 1999 model, a hybrid between mk1 and mk2, and should be prior to the problem. Before it became mine, it was my company car at Royal Mail (it retired when I did) and the workshop were good at keeping up with recalls so I feel reasonably safe. Thanks for telling me about it, perhaps some other owners will see it and be grateful.

Cheers,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi,

I perfectly remember this era, the problem was known by some hundreds of people before mid-2002 (there was a thread about this on the NG), but it finally was widely told by some scam-eater journalists here, in France, in the middle of 2002 (I'd say in the first half of June). It seems Pug knew about that a far ago, then they had to recall many 406s for the fix. From memory, affects many Mk1. Pug dealers have the list of serial numbers, they should know.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T