1995 firebird - whats wrong with this?

Hello.

I have a 1995 Firebird 3.4 automatic and its been running very good for a car 10 years old. Two weeks ago it started acting odd, runing ok but sometimes when going up a hill the rpms would rev up and the power didnt seem to translate to forward motion.

It would catch itsself a secound later and be fine again. Thinking it was low on transmission fluild (and it was alittle low but not out) I added some.

This seemed to solve the problem for awhile and then yesterday it started again but worse. When driving about 8 city blocks it started to do the same thing but last longer. If I would try to push the car above 30 mph or so the car revs' but doesnt really take off like it should.

In a unrealted (I think) problem in park I hear kinda a higher pitched vibration noice I didnt hear before. In driving (when fluttering) I hear a sound that seems to be air or something... but that could be unrelated.

Also (once the car is warmed up and doing this problem behavior) it doesnt seem to want to reverse at all! If I shut the car completly off and turn on its fine again, it drives forward and reverses fine for a bit (lets say 4-8 city blocks) and then does it again (loses reverse and don't go faster than 20-30 mph).

It seems like something is being flooded and then when the car is off the fluid levels go down and its ok again until driven more.

I really like this car allot so I hope its nothing too major. I'm sure its not going to be pretty but what do you think that could be? Any guess on how much to fix?

Thanks in advance for your advice on getting my firebird back to its normal great driving.

Reply to
bradshaw1

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Shep

It's kind of a long-shot, but I would take it in and have the transmission filter replaced. I had one that had cracked at the "pick-up" tube that goes from the filter to the transmission... and it was sucking air whenever the fluid uncovered the crack. (If the fluid is low or you're going up a hill?)

Reply to
David Courtney

some trans shops do free scans and estimates.

ds549