Ping!!! Harry Face or anyone 89 Bonni ill

My 89 Bonniville (360k kms) Would not crank. Two weeks prior I had a problem with the positive post...I ended up cutting off the rubber to give it a better cleaning job......long storie short I have good contact at the battery both positive cables. I have an after market remote starter installed that also won' crank up the starter. This tells me the problem is after the the ignition on the way to the solenoid. I can start the car by hot wireing the starter at the solenoid....so I traced out the solenoid wire back and it looks like it goes in and out at the trans where the shift cable is...is this where the nuetral saftey switch is? Slamming the shifter up and down did not help moving the steering wheel back and forth did not help. It would still not start with the key......so I put it in gear while the engine was running and moved the car back and forth about six feet and now everything is fine...it starts with the key and the remote. Problem is when is it going to do this again? I don't think the wife will like crawling under it to jump the solenoid! Now what would be the most likely no power to the steering colum (everthing works like blower etc with key in run) but nothing to the sloenoid from the key. If the safety switch is a know problem on this car then i will just hot wire that. Any thoughts anybody???

Reply to
Know one that you know

It could well be the starter solenoid. I haven't had this problem on any of my Pontiacs, but I have on other cars. At first it is an isolated occurrence, but the longer it is around the more frequent it gets. Don't know how complicated it is to change on your car, but it wasn't too bad on any of the ones I have changed.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

I'm not really a whiz when it comes to electronics. Especially whe the electronics have been tampered with - like adding a remote starter.

I'm not sure how a remote starter is hooked up but I'd check the remote starter connections first of all and make sure there hooked up right & connections clean & tight..

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

I ruled out the solenoid because I hot wired it with jumper cables where the smaller 12v would be when key is in crank mode and the solenoid kiks in no problemo. It all started to work after moving car forth and back.

Reply to
Know one that you know

Reply to
Know one that you know