Rover 414

My 414 k series engine keeps doing head gaskets. I no longer want any tips on how to repair it better but can anyone tell me if a Honda unit will fit straight in. In other words are the mounting points the same etc? pete

Reply to
turtill

On 29/10/2005 11:56:30, in alt.autos.rover, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com pounded the keyboard message to bring the following to the attention of the assembled hordes

Probably not. You would need not only the engine but the gearbox and driveshafts too. Probably need the front hubs too. Might even need the front suspension. You will also need the Honda ECU and looms. Many of the ancillary bits like air filters and power steering pumps and hoses might have to be swapped.

Perhaps you should just buy a Honda.

Reply to
M Pitt

Point taken. I wish I had done that in the first place:-( pete

Reply to
turtill

At which point, some tips for repairing it better...

Check top of block for warping. If this is out of true you have major problems, throw it away. If block is OK, have head skimmed and crack tested. Replace plastic locating dowels with metal ones. Fit a new radiator.

That should last you 100,000 miles or so....

-- r

I would think if it is the old shape Rover (ie yours is a saloon rahter than hatchback), a Honda 1.6 would slot straight in. Try your Yellow pages for Rover garages and just ask them, they will know.

I have a 214 SEi whose body is spot on, and if it stays that way and the engine goes, I will be enquiring about inputting a Honda engine. The SEi is a lovely car IMHO.

CHeers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

On 02/11/2005 23:40:48, in alt.autos.rover, Paul pounded the keyboard message to bring the following to the attention of the assembled hordes

Good Luck!

Reply to
M Pitt

I eventually had to have the head welded then skimmed, new cam belt and full service, replaced rear brake cylinders, new MOT and key fob battery, new tyre £400. Which means I have now paid £1000 for a 1996 Rover 414i that is only used to take my dog out as SWMBO will not let the dog in the BMW. If it lasts a couple of years I may not feel so gutted about it. pete

Reply to
turtill

Mine is a HB but it is fixed now thanks. pete

Reply to
turtill