2.0 Turbo Engine Overfilled with Oil

My son just bought 1 97 900SE Turbo. I changed the oil about 2 weeks after he bought it from a GM dealership. I measured the oil and there was nearly 8 quarts in it, instead of 4.1. Could this have caused any damage?

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
Ron Gakenheimer

What is a quarter in litres?

/B

"Ron Gakenheimer" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Blacksmith

A quart is a quarter gallon, ~ 1 litre.

Google says: 1 US quart = 0.94635295 litres

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Just curious if the dealer might have put in too much oil to hide something.

R>My son just bought 1 97 900SE Turbo. I changed the oil about 2 weeks

Reply to
Ron Gakenheimer

Does Saab in the USA specify oil requirements in quarts ? I find it perplexing how the USA uses such old-fashioned funny units. We use litres here - as they do in Sweden. Not *liters* btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It's 'litres' here in Australia too. The US seems to like using olde-worlde types of measurement. But I know why fuel is still measured in gallons there

- it makes the amount of fuel being used by a vehicle seem less when quoted in MPG than if you quote it in litres per 100 km. 8-)

Maybe it would be a rude shock (no offence to all of you in the US) to the US population and industry in general if they were forced to start using metric units of measurement for automotive specifications.

Can you imagine if the industry was made to produce wheels and tyres in metric sizes? The US government would hate that since it would give the French a chance to assert superiority by virtue of the TRX and other metric wheel/tyre standards. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Where have you been? The US measurements are old British units. We will be dragged kicking, screaming, scratching, biting, hair pulling and most likely shooting into the metric system. We will be asking questions later, mostly about how many did we shoot, how many times did we have to reload and if there were any French.

Soda is in liters when in bottles but in ounces in cans. Nutrition is in calories/grams/milligrams when the package is ounces/pounds/gallons. At the doctors, you get medicine in measured in mg, weighed in pounds, height measured in inches/feet, and bodily fluids measured in ml/dl. For the cars tires are in inches, fuel in gallons and go miles per hour. All the belts, screws and other parts are in mm (on the "foreign" and "domestic" brands) A side note- The Pontiac G6 is made in Australia and is domestic The Honda Accord is made in Ohio and both the Mercedes and BMW SUVs are made in South Caroilna and are "foreign"

Ben Franklin revised/created our "English". There are 280,000,000 Americans vs 50,000,000 English, yet we speak "English". And, why is the Royal Family's motto in French?

Jeremy.

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

Interesting compilation, but one minor correction. The Pontiac G6 is made in the US, in Orion Township, Michigan. You might be thinking of the Pontiac GTO, which is essentially a rebadged Holden Monaro from Australia. On another side note: when equipped with an automatic transmission, the GTO also comes with a "US Gas Guzzler Tax" of $1,300.

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

oopsie

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

Yeah, 'cause that worked so well the last time...

Reply to
Fred W

However, most of the casualties are likely to be your countrymen or their allies. The French will have munched their cheese ration and surrendered ages ago (c;

The British invented America. And because the Royal Family is German.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yeah, but we've since re-invented it. :-)

As to the original post - Yes, you could have caused damage from the oil excess. You need to get a letter from the dealer stating that they will cover any repairs cased by the overfill. Off the top of my head, you may have damaged things like O2 sensors, the cat converter, engine seals, etc.

As to the liter vs. quart argument... for all practical purposes when changing the oil they are the same thing. 4 quarts = 4 liters.

Reply to
- Bob -

Hey, propane tanks, lawn gnomes, garden sculptures and anyone hunting with the Vice President are valid targets. Just remember there will be a three drink minimum.

Reply to
Jeremy

Can the Saab oil pan actually hold 8 qt/l of oil? The tranmission will hold up to that much fluid (probably 6-7 qt/l) and depending on the type of trans fluid (is it an auto or stick?) it may not be red (older Saabs use Ford type-F). Are you sure it was oil and not another fluid?

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

That's a bit silly. The standard size soft drink (aka soda, pop, whatever) can size in Australia is 375 ml (millilitres) - aka 0.375 L.

Calories are not SI units - the correct SI unit for measuring energy is the kilojoule (and that has important automotive implications since kilojoules has a relationship to the kilowatt power output ratings of engines).

He he is that what the Holden Monaro is called in the US?

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

is that still made or have they discontinued the Monaro? ISTR that the guys on Top Gear were totally mad over this car only to learn shortly later that it wasn't being made any more? Something like that anyway.

("Think of it as your cousin from the outback. He might not be able to cite Shakespeare, but he can take out all your teeth with one punch." -- Jeremy Clarkson about the Monaro)

Reply to
Michael Hellwig

An excellent car which is now out of production. Holden auctioned the last one on e-bay where it went for the very tidy sum of A$187,000 odd.

ShazWozza

Man... you don't get much for your dollar in Oz, do you?

Reply to
Fred W

Well the clown/enthusiast who paid that amount certainly didn't. Generally speaking though our dollar is around about the same as the Canuck dollar. One of ours buys about the same amount of rubbish as one of yours, perhaps we get less food colourants, GM and preservatives for our dollar.

The Holden factory also makes the V6 engines which are in the latest crop of Saabs.

Some classic older Australian muscle cars pull huge sums of money these days. A Ford XY HO Phase III, circa 1970 sells for around A$200,000 these days if you can find one for sale.

Thanks to the Max Max movies our stock of XA/XB Fords is steadily diminishing as they get imported into the US. At least they are going into the hands of enthusiasts who will preserve them in all likelihood.

Reply to
ShazWozza