C900 Hatch Release/Latch

Has anyone replaced the hatchback release mechanism on a C900? My wife's 1990 900S release/latch handle has broken and needs to be replaced. How big a deal is it? I know, I need to tear it apart and find out...just haven't had time yet.

Thanks,

GW

Reply to
wittnam

It's not bad to get at, at all. Take off the interior trim from the hatch (quarter-turn trim screws mostly), and you'll see a (probably) black plastic oval that looks like a tupperware container. Open the lid as you would expect, and inside is the mechanism.

Before you remove it with the (2?) bolts holding it to the trunk lid, (and before you go buy a replacement), have a look at what's not working right. The white plastic "nut" on the vertical rod will line up with the handle when it's in the unlocked position, and will pull on the latch mechanism to open it. Not too complicated, not too much to go wrong. Maybe it's just a matter of cleaning the crap out of, for instance, the sliding mechanism that should move during locking/unlocking.

Do take a look at it before you go buy anything, just in case it's just a matter of corrosion or something.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz