Red anti-freeze

It being that time of the year I checked the contents of the header tank in my more recently acquired 9000 and discovered that the coolant was coloured red.

I've only previously ever come across the blue stuff.

A quick call to to the mechanic I use elicited the info that coolant additive tends to come in 3 colours these days, red green and blue.

I assume that it's prerable not to mix ? Can anyone suggest what additive I have in there and what to ask for if I need to increase the strength.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If it was mine, I'd probably drain & flush the system; then refill it with what I wanted to stay in there. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Well, I suppose that if you mix them in equal quantities you will get white ;-))

Reply to
Sheherezade Fong

Red is Valvoline G30. The blue is G48. SAAB has used both in various models over the years, the red being more recently. Althought they are very similar composition, your car should have the blue G48 in it. While you could obtain some of the red stuff, it might be a good excuse to do a full flush and fill with the right stuff for your car.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I've heard to use geniune Mercedes Bens anti-free from their dealers. It contains (or doesn't contain, I forget) a chemical that keeps the antifreeze from eating away at your heater core, a very big weak spot in the 9000. I can attest to that as I have a sickly sweet smell and fogged windows whenever I turn on the heat for the first time.

-Chris

Sheherezade F>

Reply to
Chris Campbell

Can you explain the differences ?

Is it indeed the case that they shouldn't be mixed ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes, but it is not red anymore...

Reply to
MH

The difficulty is that anti-freeze is often described by what it doesn't contain. E.g. silicate free (red) and nitrite, amine and phosphate free (green). I use the read stuff for my 9000. Saab antifreeze is red colour.

Reply to
Johannes

Well... you can download the datasheets and investigate it yourself right here:

I'm not sure, to be quite honest. But there is certainly no harm in a good flush and refill.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Mine is blue (or is it green?) and is what the dealer has been fitting in the car from new (assuming they have ever changed it). 9000 year 97.

C.

Reply to
Charles C.

When you say 'anti-freeze' are you meaning you add water and coolant then add an anti-freeze product, or do you mean what we tend to call 'coolant' here in Australia without anything else being adding to give anti-freeze properties?

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

In the US, Antifreeze = Coolant.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

In the UK as well. Antifreeze = Coolant + Antifreeze + Anticorrosion. That is why it needs to be kept an eye on.

Reply to
Johannes

Coolant chat.

Kim_Jong_Il

Excellent site. All you could wish for to be a coolant professor.

Reply to
Johannes

And I was vindicated in my use of water from a de-humidifier tank to mix the coolant. Tap water contains a small amount of chlorine.

Reply to
Johannes

Not mine. Mine comes from a well in my backyard.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Most chlorine will evapporate overnight, if the water is allowed to stand, and will disappear very quickly from your heating system once the water gets hot for the first time.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Excellent site - thanks for the link. I will definitely add this to the technical library page on my

website in the coming days!

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

The use of any water other than distilled in the cooling system is a serious mistake and will enventually damage the cooling system. Electrolytes in tap and well water will cause corrosion either slowly or rapidly.

Reply to
darthpup