OT kinda sorta Stude related

Have a car hauler with a Ramsey winch on it.It has been working just fine hauling cars around.Yesterday the winch stopped pulling in the cable.It will let cable out just fine but when I hit the switch to pull it in the solenoid clunks but no action.Took every connection loose and cleaned every terminal,power supply is good.Doesnt seem to be a wiring issue.Could be the solenoid is bad..but it makes a solid noise..or the starter drive...yet that works perfectly one way.Any ideas?

Bob40...2 more cars to haul and no winch:(

Reply to
Bob

brushes in the motor itself.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Mine does the same thing from time to time, Bob... Generally, I just beat the hell out of it with a tire iron and it works for a while again

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

In other words, you use the subtle apporach.

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

Pretty much.... The first time it happened was at home... I figured the elements kind of got to it. I cleaned and oiled everything up and worked with it and it started working again.

The second time was out of town and I was loading a car (yes, on a dark and stormy night). It acted up, I was pissed, and the tire iron was close by and handy. A couple good whacks and it started working again. It has become the preferred method of dealing with it until I replace the P.O.S.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Think it's a bad solenoid.Tomorrow I'll take the one that controls outward cable and put it on the rewind side,slip the control lever to freewheel when I want to let out cable and get the hauling done.$90.00 for a new solenoid...fix it proper when it's warm again next May....lol.Thanks for all the advice.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

I thought that was Debbie's job...

JT

Lee wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

She learned a LONG time ago to use weapons that don't leave marks

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee