Question about 1958 GH paint options

I haven't been posting for a while... busy with work and family issues... however

I am finally trying to make some progress on my 1958 Golden Hawk project. My car was shipped as a "knocked down body " to Belgium where it was assembled. It still has its original color that is very close to "Glen Green"

58-studebaker-pg02.jpg

-- however, I think that GHs deserve a metallic paint and thus I am in between a few options. I would like to stay with the green as the original tan leather interior makes a nice matc with green. "Park Green" seems to be the only metallic green option -- or was there perhaps any "mid-year" options that do not appear on the standard color charts ? I have a very nice and o(old?) 1/24 scale model by Frobly / France of a 1958 Packard Hawk painted in dark green metallic with dold fins. Was there some darker green paint options on Packard Hawks if not on 1958 Golden Hawks. Thanks for any input. Pekka from Helsinki

Reply to
PekkaP

Hi Pekka, My brother bought some info at the Atlantic City auto auction this year [too bad we couldn't get together again this year there]. He bought a color chart for the Packard Hawk. All of the colors were made by Dupont and it has the names and the numbers for the paint. If you would like I could scan you a copy of it. John is really happy with his $5,500 Packard Hawk.It was a much better deal than the stick with OD car that was for sale last january . He is installing Avanti 2 wire wheels on it next, with radials. He is planning on a color change to festival red. The car is currently parchment with a red roof. He has a Phanton interior seat cover set on order. The car is coming along. I hope you can come to the U.S. again soon , you'll have 2 supercharged studes waiting to take you for a ride. Good luck with your Hawk, Joe

Reply to
jflan63

That web page has an interesting "magnifying glass" effect when the cursor is moved over the chart.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Thanks Joe, I do have Dupont Color Charts for 1958 Studebaker - Packard issued in November 1957. It just seems that some colors are not on those charts. Like Shadowtone Red Metallic is islisted but not shown. And I got confused / intrested by the Packard Hawk

1/24 scale model colors that may sure be non authentic when it comes to paint ... yet still I would like to have some feedback on the Metallic green color options of 57-58

Anyhow, here is a link to some photos of the color combo ( on the scale model Packard Hawk) I was wondering if there was a similar offerd 1957-58 ..

And regarding my next visit to US .... it is a seductive offer that I could choose between two supercharged Studebakers (/Packard) as means of transportation... let's see if I can arrange my daily routines to allow me to travel in the summer...

Pekka

Reply to
PekkaP

I would not use that sheet as a guide. Here is my reasoning. Back in 1990 I needed a "modern day" paint match for my 56 Golden Hawk. This was before DuPont and others were really willing to help restoration questions. I called their library and convinced them that I was indeed a body shop and gave them the old Studebaker color names I needed. About four hours later a woman callled back and said the closest match they could find was from an Aston Martin DB. She said the only difference was the Aston Martin color had

7% more metallic flakes.

Since you provided your web page source, I just compared the Aston Martin Burnham Green color on their website, to their website's Ceramic Green. They are two different greens. Forget metal flake content, they are like day and night as shown on the website. In real life, the Aston Martin formula when sprayed is identical to Ceramic Green.

Either the scan of the paint chips on their site were scanned with different color profiles, or their scanned chips either were faded or discolored. If you compare the pages (only the white background) you will note that the "white balance" on the Aston Martin page is cooler, or towards the blue side of the spectrum, the Studebaker page is on the warmer side with a shade more red/yellow to the page.

I just copied both pages and put them into Photoshop, I did a white balance on both pages and inserted the Aston Martin chip near the Studebaker chip. You now can see that the colors are much closer, but there are other variables to consider. Use the chips as a poor starting point as they have aged.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Thanks for the comments . I do agree that these color chips seem to be faded so may mislead. Still as my car was painted at the Belgium assembly plant I feel that they used different paints than Southbend and the "original" dark green that my car was painted is seems pretty dull to me -- thus I would like to get closer to real original -- yet metallic.

Pekka

Reply to
PekkaP

Reply to
dwcars

Reply to
dwcars

Thanks, once it gets the paint work done I' ll post some pics.

Pekka

Reply to
PekkaP