Stupid Studebaker move.

My Caddy powered Scotsman was down to some detail work when I decided to grab N8 and return the Th400 transmission core to the auto parts store in the truck. When I built the drive shaft I made up a home made U joint adapter for the front yoke with two machined spacers to center the smaller cross in the bigger yoke. On the way back from the store at 70 MPH we hear a bing bang and the truck started shaking like mad. We got it to a stop and found we'd thrown one cap on the U joint. No big deal I thought, this time I have a drive shaft shop do it right. Had the truck towed home and figured I'd limp into the garage but heard a hell of a banging even in park.

By trying to save a few bucks on a drive shaft, the broken joins shaking cracked the case on my rebuilt transmission. Parked the truck in the garage and said screw it for a few days. It's not the loss of the $500 transmission that pisses me off as much as the labor involved in getting the damn transmission in and out again.

Reply to
John Poulos

J/P,did you get confused? You were working on a Studebaker, not a Willy's, bailing wire is not a substitute.

Reply to
jbwhttail

The main case or the tailshaft. I think you can get the tailsaft off without yanking the tranny.

ErnieR

Reply to
Big E

The main case, the part that would be a bell housing on a Studebaker.

Big E wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Not quite bailing wire, nice machined spacers, but the snap ring broke and the rest is history. I'll have a custom drive shaft made by a pro this time, lesson learned.

jbwhttail wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

And Jeg's, Summit, Speedway Auto, and any good flaps has that dual size u-joint in stock for about $25....

Reply to
Jeff Rice

J/P, years ago I completed a convertible hawk project, I didn't get the drive shaft balanced. I was broke down on the Interstate with a thrown U joint. I was rescued by a guy driving a dump truck, Charles Richards. Charles was a new SDC member, he helped me get the car repaired, he and his wife became lifetime friends. Both are smiling from above now, but I know what they are thinking......... get R done!!!

Reply to
jbwhttail

I had three drivers stop and ask if I needed help in the half hour I was on the roadside. All of them stopped because it was a "old Studebaker".

jbwhttail wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

fukking Greek engineering

Reply to
oldcarfart

They did not make the one I needed. I needed two different size caps and and a wider cross in one axis.

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

They DO make that u-joint (or should I say Precision makes it and they sell it).... I have bought and installed several of them when using a T400 yoke and a Ford (Stude shaft)... You can also make one by getting the one combo joint and swapping the caps from another joint. I'll dig through some receipts and find the number.. Jeff (This one rings a bell, but I'd have to check..)

"John Poulos" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

OK, but I'll only use it for future reference since I wanted a new shaft just to be safe. The old one got tossed around quite a bit.

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos